cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Rift...and everything else. Home Issues that I just can't figure out.

WebMetalReese
Protege
Hi there, thanks for checking out my post. I'm new to the rift and it's very exciting. I'm really enjoying the home feature and have already spent some hours just traveling to other people's homes and checking them out and chatting them up! It's great fun! 

But on the down side - why do all of these other users have such cool things in their homes? I wanted to figure it all out so I spent the past week doing my research and really getting down and dirty, but I just can't get it to work. 

I'm not artist. As a matter of fact, I'm color blind which makes it even more difficult. I tried Medium and it's just not for me, that's ok. I went on the web for answers. I discovered you can download 3D models and convert them to GLB files and then put them in your import folder and yay! There they are! Great! 

But it's a 15mb limit and I have no idea how to compress or edit these 3D files to get them down that low. I just don't understand it, I've literally tried everything including going to thinyverse and getting 3d models and putting them together and coloring them myself but even the most basic are at least 20mb. It's very frustrating. 

Can someone please guide me in trying to get file sizes down? Perhaps some software or a compression program or something. 3D builder is just not good enough. Even if I reduce the size down to say 10mm the file size stays the same, so how can I make them have less mass? 

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help. I sincerely appreciate it. 
6 REPLIES 6

Richooal
Consultant
I might be stating the obvious here, but all the cool stuff (with the exception of some talented people) is provided free by Oculus each week just for spending time in the Rift. If you haven't already, check out the "Notifications" and "Inventory" in the Home menu.
Sorry if you already new this, but you did say you were new to Rift.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

WebMetalReese
Protege
Yes thank you! I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had some presents to open the other day! I guess it's just luck on if you get something special or not. 

Great tip and thank you. I'm referring though to the custom content that people often have. I was in a house last night and there was literally a helicopter flying outside his balcony! Truly amazing. 

But all this is out of my reach. I've literally spent the entire day on a couple of different sites downloading files and then converting them and then running them through an online program only to find that either a) the file has errors or b) it's too big. 

I've looked and looked everywhere but I can't seem to find a clear answer. 

Oh and to be honest - I DO have some things that work, but it truly is painful to go through - sizewise. I don't know if there is any other method, but what I've been doing is putting the file into the import folder, starting up oculus, throwing it in my space and it's either too big, too small, or has some sort of haze on it. THEN you have to delete it from your space, cancel the upload, exit oculus go into the import file, remove the file, and try again. 

It's truly frustrating. I know it's new tech, but someone on here must know some secrets they are willing to share. 

WebMetalReese
Protege
@Nekto2 I have, thank you. I've spent literally 3 days doing nothing but sitting in front of my PC working on sorting this process out. 

I've discovered that the easiest and BEST method is to forget all of that other stuff, it's painful and frustrating and not truly worth the effort. 

Go to thingyverse, download some 3D templates there - open them up in 3D Build and use textures to color save as .glb and it's GTG. 

I have so much stuff downloaded from places like sketchlab and 3Dwarehouse that my Ext. Drive is nearly full. Yesterday I spent the entire day installing a program called sketchup because the stuff on 3D warehouse is SUPER COOL - but alas, when you export the files they turn into clunky blocky garbage messes. I posted on their forum for advice but I haven't gotten any replies yet. 

I would really and truly like to know what the formula is here. It's really bothering me. There are some .obj files that you download and convert and BAM no problems - but most are like NO WAY. Why? 

I opened up .skp in Sketchlab and then installed a plugin to convert to .glb and .gltf figuring they would export as they look in Sketchlab - sadly they don't. 

I've spent so much time trying to get this to work and I feel it's wasted. So now I'm just coloring 3D printing templates in 3D build and just going from there. 

Thanks for the tip though, but I really think patience is needed here to wait and see what Oculus will do to improve the process. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

I would really and truly like to know what the formula is here. It's really bothering me. There are some .obj files that you download and convert and BAM no problems - but most are like NO WAY. Why? 

One issue is that while OBJ is a very common format, it was made for data in modelling packages, not real time engines. So the way it can arrange data may not match what GLTF wants. For example, OBJ lets you have polygons with any number of sides, while GLTF only allows triangles. Conversely, GLTF allows per vertex colour (needed for Medium) while that's not part of the OBJ standard (there's a non standard hack that does it, which I think Medium used, but it's not widely supported).

It's a similar issue for a lot of models you can find on the net. Often they are designed for rendering software like Max/Maya/Blender which can sit there for an hour per frame in a detailed scene, their detail level is wrong for realtime systems like Oculus Home.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

WebMetalReese
Protege
Honestly it's a bit on the technical side for me. I studied some design in college but all of it was 2D - I can whip up practically anything in photoshop or illustrator, heck even after effects I suppose. 

Learning how 3D operates of course is interesting to me, and I doubt I would have any issues if perhaps I created something myself with Home in mind using something like Sketchup - but taking what someone else has done and trying to make it work in Home is a lengthy process. I just hope that eventually Oculus will make the process smoother, but as of right now I think I have enough to satiate me. 

Anytime you're around pop by my home and check it out 🙂