cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium Suggestions

slipgatecentral
Explorer
TL&DR: Medium is a very nice toy, but it's hard to be productive in it. 

After playing for few hours with it, I have some ideas that might improve this software for professional artists, without ruining accessibility for beginners.

-Almost very tool needs an alt modifier, that will allow user quickly switch to alternate mode. Example - for clay tool, to cut holes you need to open menu, select "Erase", and close menu. Needs to be faster, preferably holding modifier button on left controller (like the one we got for alternate tool). Every sculpting 3d software has this - primary function can be switched instantly to it's opposite.

- We must be able to select same tools for primary and alternate, but they must not share settings. This will be extremely useful in many cases. Like, you can paint using 2 different brushes with different color.

- Desperately need move/pull tool. Smudge doesn't do much. If there's no room on the palette I suggest removing useless swirl.

- Need an option to customize brushes and my palette. Would be great to have my own selection of saved tools with different settings. Time saver.

- Need bigger color swatch accessible from menu. Right now only 3 colors in it.

- Eyedropper tool takes too long to select. It also needs a button modifier for quick operation, like Alt key in Photoshop.

I am a professional 3d artist and I'm looking forward to work in VR. Those are just first steps but I see tons of potential in VR sculpting. 
323 REPLIES 323

StudioTan
Honored Guest
You can quick select the alternate version of the tool by double tapping the gear button.

I agree with you about a move brush like Zbrush has.  This is a pretty essential tool.  Also some sort of masking.

However as a v1 product I think it's already useful for production work for quickly building a base mesh even if you need to eventually bring it into another program like Zbrush.

RareFaction
Honored Guest
Definitely need a move/pull tool! It's really essential to any sculpting program.

A separate issue I've experienced is difficulty judging how far away in z depth the sculpting primitive is, e.g. the sphere, because the primitive is flat shaded with transparency. The only depth cue is the size of the primitive, but since the size can be changed it's easy to misjudge how far away the primitive is. I'd suggest adding a subtle Lambert shading to the primitive so it appears differently to each eye so you can use that as an additional depth cue.

RygorX
Honored Guest
Love it ! well done guys !!!

Here's my top requests :smile:

Brush strength control slider option ( its really hard to use trigger to get accurate strength control)
Move Brush / 
Pinch brush
Option to disable sound effects
Turn Table rotation animation 

Sethusk
Explorer
A small browser window for referencing Google.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Things that annoy me:

When a layer is hidden it's still selectable by pointing. This makes it clunky to select a layer that's behind a hidden one and it's kind of jarring cos the bloody thing just appears there as it's selected and then I have to dive back into the menu to hide it again. I've lost count of the number of times when I've proceeded to phase two of this comedy of errors, when I start to spray and nothing happens cos I've selected the invisible layer, which is being scribbled on in the background. Same effect for eyedropper tool - I don't think it should sample hidden layers.

Busting the resolution limit makes all kinds of shit go haywire. Some kind of cap would be nice and/or indicator. I love going as hi-res as I can and I always feel like I'm dicing with death and saving often.

Things I'd like:

If the brush tool in paint mode could use stamps as a nib. I'm thinking the intersect area that's defined in white when you're sculpting clay would form a suitable perimeter for a fill area

Rename and re-order the layers in the menu. Point select is handy as hell but that little side menu is missing a trick.

Mithos56
Explorer
I also would really love a move brush. 

I'd also really like to see:
Masking
A clay build up brush( sorta a combination of clay and inflation brush in one)
some sort of edge brush to do thin slices or pinch corners.
Little more sensitivity control.  It seems to be right now that its either full bore, or you get the spray noise with no/almost no physical changes.

Definitely a cool application, though!

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

Mithos56 said:

A clay build up brush( sorta a combination of clay and inflation brush in one)

Try turning on constrain to surface and trigger pressure control, in the tools menu. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP
It would be nice if Inflate acted a little more predictably. Sometimes when I try to use it to build up a thin piece of geometry, the piece seems to get whittled away rather than getting inflated.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Try upping the resolution, @nalex66, it's flaky as hell when it doesn't have enough voxels to work with.