cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium is taking a long time to load... Solved

Johnny3D
Protege
This morning I set up to do a bit of sculpting in Oculus Medium. Started up some music, put on my headset, and fired off Oculus Medium. Only instead of loading quickly like normal, I got the message, "Oculus Medium is taking a long time to load. If this problem persists please take off your headset and check this app on your computer."

I let it go for a while and the message just stayed there. The first time it eventually loaded up, but then when I went to load up a sculpt I've been working on, I noticed there was no preview tile for the sculpt (and most of the rest of the sculpt files either). I clicked on the sculpt I wanted to work on anyway and it gave me the little dancing Medium logo but did not actually load. After a bit I decided to quit to home, but that failed to work as well. So I took off the headset, went to task manager, and shut Oculus Medium down. I tried starting it back up again, but all I got was the "taking a long time to load" message.

I closed out Oculus Home and got a warning message, "Closing the Oculus app will also any apps you're running in VR. You can't use your headset unless Oculus is open." I clicked "okay" and then Oculus Home closed. I put the headset back on to try it again and it came up directly to a screen saying Oculus Medium was trying to load and then gave me the "taking a long time to load" message again.

From there I tried a reboot of my machine, just to clear everything out. After the reboot I started up Oculus Home, fired off Medium and got the same problem... no loading. I rebooted again. Fired up Oculus Home, uninstalled Oculus Medium. Reinstalled Oculus Medium. Fired it up again, no good. Closed Oculus Home, put on the headset and right back to the Oculus Medium loading screen. Went into task manager and found Oculus Medium and ended the task. When I put on the headset at least I get back into Home without the loading screen for Medium.

So... I'm at a loss as to what I should do next to get Medium up and running.
4 REPLIES 4

Johnny3D
Protege
I've heard mention in other help threads about a log file for Oculus Medium or something along those lines. Does someone happen to know where I might find the log file for Medium so I can at least take a look at it and see if there is something obvious that I could fix so I can get back to sculpting?

Johnny3D
Protege
Currently trying to see if I can somewhat re-set everything for Medium by uninstalling and then deleting the entire Documents\Medium folder (I backed up my sculpts first). Going to see if that solves the issue.

Johnny3D
Protege
Okay... so it appears that there was something wrong with the data in my Documents/Medium folder that was causing it not to start. After uninstalling, deleting everything in the Documents/Medium folder, re-installing Medium, and copying my sculpts back into the appropriate folder Medium started right up as normal.

I have no idea what exactly went wrong there, but it appears to be functioning just fine now.

Johnny3D
Protege
If you folks at Oculus want to take a look at any of the files from my Medium documents folder for testing research purposes, please let me know. I have those files and can send them to you.