cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are you working on?

Anonymous
Not applicable
After posting my first sculpt, it was quite a while until I got around to making a sketchbook thread.  Sometimes I wanted to post an individual piece, but there really didn't seem to be a place to do that.  Even now, I don't usually post "in-progress" sketches that I may or may not get back to, and generally use finished/mostly finished sculpts in the sketchbook. 

Anyhow, it would be interesting to see what other people are working on once they've posted their "First Medium Sculpt", so here's a place to do that 🙂
527 REPLIES 527

Anonymous
Not applicable

P3nT4gR4m said:

Dude, so intricate my head can't even!  😮

Ya, I think it's safe to say that they made the engine more efficient.  Some of those lines are about the diameter of a human hair, when zoomed in.  Not sure if I can clone them, pretty sure the smaller ones disintegrate when hit with the move tool.

Also pretty safe to say that I'm going to be hacking that up for stamps, if the detail carries over.  Probably quite a lot of cool parts I can make out of that.   If not I'm going to start negotiating for custom export folders, so I can organize a bit of kit bash, if we don't already have them, which we probably already do (mines almost empty so haven't paid attention to it).  Wouldn't want the team to run out of ideas or anything 🙂

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Driver. Self portrait, taking a selfie
60ka9go13jf5.jpg
oc5b4rik615a.jpg
ubas1zjxy4qc.jpg
n843qxbvruoc.jpg
Still another fortnight to go on this. Probably nearer a month. Had better be worth it. Just saying.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
f7ivtaq2yc7b.jpg7stnsf425uj3.jpguc9kueb5vawm.jpg

hughJ
Protege
Pic#3 (cloth draped over full body) wasn't sculpted in Medium, but an imported OBJ that was converted to a sculpt and then painted in Medium (there's no actual body underneath the cloth sculpt).  I included it cause it looked surprisingly good for faking very sheer/thin material, and pic#2 with the cloth over the face was an attempt to get a similar draped cloth look by sculpting from scratch.  Pic#1 is a sculpted bust, with only half painted. 

I'm new to coloring/painting in art in general so I've been spending a lot of my Medium time lately on trying to get natural looking materials (especially flesh tones, translucent effects, etc.)

lqy66prssvq2.pngab5ozre0stfa.png

(OBJ mesh import, but painted in Medium):
t8h24d89kgw7.png

this if from back in 2017, can see how wrong the skin looks due to the single color skin, and overly specular, overly smooth material:
uq7bub6oy1co.png

For skin these days (pic#1) I'm using lowish specular, high-ish roughness, and I knock the opacity down to 90% or so in order to reduce the sharp contrast of the shadows -- this gives a subtle appearance of translucency/subsurface.  Plus the use of yellow and red to accent areas of the skin (depending on light, shadow, fleshyness, bone, etc).

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@hughJ Nicely done! The new ibl lighting can give a pretty good SSS(ish) effect if you set the colour to dark reddish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hughJ said:

Pic#3 (cloth draped over full body) wasn't sculpted in Medium, but an imported OBJ that was converted to a sculpt and then painted in Medium (there's no actual body underneath the cloth sculpt).  I included it cause it looked surprisingly good for faking very sheer/thin material,
(OBJ mesh import, but painted in Medium):
t8h24d89kgw7.png

this if from back in 2017, can see how wrong the skin looks due to the single color skin, and overly specular, overly smooth material:

Holy hell!  That looks fantastic! 

hughJ
Protege
The hair was actually a quick afterthought here (maybe 15-20 minutes) -- I just sprayed a line of spikes, stretched them with the Move tool, tinted some highlights, duplicated a couple dozen of them and scaled+arranged them.  Was surprised that I didn't max out my system memory (pretty sure I had trouble doing this same series of operations a year ago).  
5k6orp1ah4hr.png

What are the current examples of most realistic looking hair created in Medium?  Is there someone out there with a 64GB or 128GB workstation that's able brute force some decent looking hair and eyebrows with tons of very high res layers?

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@hughJ Hair just aint Medium's strong suit, mate. What you've done is probably as good as you can get out of it. Is why I use blender.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty close to done with the paintjob. Groom still needs a bit of work but I think it's headed in the right direction.

0x8js8hb0vwb.jpg