cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

#Xanadu Import reference error

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am trying to import architectural models into my model, to do architectural modelling in VR. I was able to import my modela t a tiny scale before, but I don't remember all my old settings.

What are the recommended setting to export OBJ and FBX from 3ds Max? What units does Medium use? Is there a maximum physical size for the model?
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was able to import my model, but there seems to be a recurring error. Random elements are misplaced. The error is not in the OBj file, since it import properly in 3ds Max. The error is only in Medium.

It's a pain since it expands the area and I am unable to move the model outside of the scope.

For this purpose, I'd like to request a bigger but rougher quality work space (the cube outline).

I'd also like the ability to select imported referenced. When I imported two references, I was move the first one. Deleting references or placing them on layers would also be nice.

Below is an image on the model in Medium, there are floating errors making my area bigger than desired. Below that is the original file.

uf7wr2i9g2aa.jpgnili9r7410vg.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also noticed that the reference model scales from the center of the model, not the location of your hands while scaling. That's extremely annoying.

MattHickman
Rising Star
OBJ is such a variable format since so many apps write them different ways, would you be willing to send that to us so we can have a look? 

We are in meters.

Anonymous
Not applicable

MattHickman
Rising Star
Hm, not seeing the trouble in that one, you could try either merging it into a single layer before bringing it in, or the opposite, export the layers separately and then bring them in.

We also have some improvements to reference meshes coming soon. 

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

So if I tell you I recently blew out a bunch of candles and made a wish, it makes it sound more "birthday party" than "satanic ritual", right? 😮 

MattHickman
Rising Star

P3nT4gR4m said:

So if I tell you I recently blew out a bunch of candles and made a wish, it makes it sound more "birthday party" than "satanic ritual", right? 😮 

However you want to manifest your dreams and into what format is up to you buddy, we just facilitate the spawning.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm, not seeing the trouble in that one,

Thanks for the tip on merging and the units! How can I send you a sample? I can also send you a video of my steps from Revit to 3ds Max.

So far the errors I see are:
  • Object imports with some objects in wrong location
  • Materials and transparency would be nice
  • Work areas may not be suitable for architecture, can we get a bigger one with less precision?
  • No ability to select imported mesh once another one has been imported
  • No ability to remove imported mesh
  • Model does not scale from the location of the scaling (our hands)
  • Option to export the reference mesh with Medium sculpture or not
I'm very excited about this! I will try bringing the Medium model back into Revit and working off the sketches in the architecture program. Can't wait to see the improvements you'll release soon :smiley:

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would also add to the wish list, if it's not an inherent part of placing object references on layers:
  • Synch grabbing the general layers and the object references: when grabbing the 'world', I'd like the object reference to follow along