cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom/scale upping resolution - How to control?

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
So I've noticed when I shrink and expand the mesh and I'm sculpting it seems to surreptitiously increase the poly/voxel (whatever) resolution until, all of a sudden my model is pretty hi-res without me wanting it to be.

First off I'm not really sure what's happening, I think I get the logic of it but not the specific mechanics.

Second - how is everyone dealing with this issue, workflow-wise? Is the answer to be more disciplined than me and block out all the major forms first without pinch-zooming? Or is there some other way of controlling this, maybe with tool size?

There's times where it feels like it's almost dynamic topology and other where it doesn't and I can't quite put my finger on what I'm doing different.

Sorry if this sounds a bit vague but when I get confused, I really get confused  :s
5 REPLIES 5

MattHickman
Rising Star
So one instinct I had to fight when I sculpt is not immediately scaling my scene down and crank tool size up when I'm blocking out or adding structure. You're taking a stamp that is a particular resolution and scaling it down so now you need to create much more material at that resolution to fill a particular area than you would if it were scaled up. 

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer

So one instinct I had to fight when I sculpt is not immediately scaling my scene down and crank tool size up when I'm blocking out or adding structure. You're taking a stamp that is a particular resolution and scaling it down so now you need to create much more material at that resolution to fill a particular area than you would if it were scaled up. 

I've been slowly realizing this. Have had to find a happy Medium

I've kinda been using the initial sphere that always appears when you first fire up medium as a size reference when I start sculpting now. Was that intentional?

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
I'm getting in the habit of regularly shrinking my tool down until it gets all patchy and whatnot, like the tool resolution is too small for the layer's resolution then jump up just a bit from that. Then I zoom the layer until the tool is the size I want it to be. Means I'm always working right about the sweet spot.

TrancerSpacey
Protege
I tend to make the whole workspace as small as possible, to get high resolution as possible, when I zoom into details.

falken76
Expert Consultant
Can you even set the scale between Inches and MM in units for design purposes?  For example, if you wanted to create a character for a scene you already have completed in another 3d package, can you set the unit scale so that when the OBJ is exported, you don't have to scale it at all to fit the scene?  Or is this more, just sculpt and damn the unit size?  I would assume it's defaulted to MM since one of the features is 3d printing your models.  Does anyone know?