cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change shape axis ?

ker2x
Protege
Is there a way to rotate a shape when using the clay tool ?
It's an issue when i want to apply a shape using the surface constraint but the shape is on the wrong axis.

8 REPLIES 8

MattHickman
Rising Star
Use the grip button on your support hand. You can use either to grab and rotate objects or scale them by holding both and moving your hands together or apart. 

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer

ker2x said:

It's an issue when i want to apply a shape using the surface constraint but the shape is on the wrong axis.

Move the stick on your sculpting hand either left or right to rotate the orientation of your stamp (as opposed to up and down to scale the stamp). Found this feature by accident.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

ker2x said:

Move the stick on your sculpting hand either left or right to rotate the orientation of your stamp (as opposed to up and down to scale the stamp). Found this feature by accident.

Unfortunately you can only rotate the stamp on one axis (unless there's some way of switching the axis that I haven't found).

Like the OP, I had a situation where I wanted to use a particular stamp with the surface constraint, but I couldn't position it with the orientation I wanted relative to the surface normal.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Same here @nalex66 when you grab a custom stamp world axis determines which way it spins on the tool nib. You could redo whichever stamp was bothering you but a fix would be better

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer

nalex66 said:

ker2x said:

Unfortunately you can only rotate the stamp on one axis (unless there's some way of switching the axis that I haven't found).

Like the OP, I had a situation where I wanted to use a particular stamp with the surface constraint, but I couldn't position it with the orientation I wanted relative to the surface normal.

I wish it was more flexible but now I just plan ahead when I make the stamp. The direction you are looking at your future stamp will be a determining factor for how it will be oriented on your sculpting hand. Whatever is facing you when you create the stamp will be facing the needle on the sculpting hand i believe.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish for a better control on the orientation of the stamp as well, it's especially needed when using constrains for the clay tool: the line constraint has a fixed orientation (as far as I know) so if the axis of rotation of the stamp is not the one you want, you are out of luck!

I was recently trying to create a reasonably planar and thin surface at a specific orientation with respect to other parts of the model (by using one of the flat parallelepipeds), and it was impossible to do correctly, even by contorting my wrist in strange ways :smiley:

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

pieroman said:

I was recently trying to create a reasonably planar and thin surface at a specific orientation with respect to other parts of the model (by using one of the flat parallelepipeds), and it was impossible to do correctly, even by contorting my wrist in strange ways :smiley:

Sometimes I forget I can use both hands to get the angles I need. If my right wrist can't get a decent angle I can often (not always) get around that by using my left. It's one of the big features of Medium that's so new to me I often forget and will arse around for ages before I remember.

danknugz
Superstar
i also encountered this limitation with the line constraint 
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?