cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

medium to unity texture/material and topology???

eithman
Protege
I am about as novice as it gets; self taught and just started learning late last year. 
My husband and I are trying to make a VR video game in Unity and I have been designing characters and assets(such as buildings, plants, vehicles, objects, etc.) in medium. 

As I have been practicing and learning how to use medium, I have created some designs including different colors and materials including emersive and metallic materials. I have tried exporting the finished object in every combination I could think of (FBX with vertex colors, FBX with texture material, OBJ with vertex colors, etc.) and upon importing the object to Unity, it is all cracked up and the colors aren't attached. You have to create a material using texture maps from medium, and even after doing that, the object and colors are all cracked up, blotchy and discolored. I know that medium creates far too high-poly of a mesh for Unity to work with, so it cracks up, but if I export from medium with a lower percentage of triangles, it looks bad and still has all the same issues.

I am really stuck in a rut here. I know that I still have a lot to learn in Unity and that I probably have a lot to learn in several programs and this is probably a SNOWFLAKE ON THE TIP OF THE ICEBERG, but I could really use some guidance. I have looked through forums and blog posts and I haven't found anything that actually solves the issue or teaches me anything that will get me any closer. I have heard Blender, ZBrush, Meshlab and a few others mentioned in several threads related to this, are these all necessary to know well in order to be able to create playable characters and usable prefab assets? 

If anyone has any advice, tips, tools, tutorials, examples, shortcuts or anything that can provide direction, that would be amazing.
(HELP!)

-Tiff
10 REPLIES 10

cybercyrus90
Adventurer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nK0G4ykq3O8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCyjutGOfZQ

This guy was made in Medium. I managed to bring down the faces from 3m to about 30k, while retaining some details. As you can see it's not the greatest result and I need to spend more time weight mapping him but i'd say it's pretty good considering what we are working from. 

I am currently working on importing a Medium character inside unreal for 3rd person gameplay testing 🙂