cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you still having guardian stuttering issues?

Strongit
Heroic Explorer
I wanted to bring this again to the forefront as it's still an ongoing issue for me.  Whenever I get close to the guardian boundary and the grid starts to appear I get frame-rate stutters in both native quest apps and through oculus link.  I haven't had any support beyond oculus asking me to exchange my headset which, since I've heard of people with NEW headsets having the problem, I am trying to avoid.  I have the guardian disabled so that games are playable but I don't want to keep using this workaround.

This has been happening since software version 15 and only had minor improvements - I would say about 10 - 15% better than it initially was indicating it's most likely a software problem rather than a hardware problem.  As an aside I have also been much more prone to VR motion sickness since this issue started suggesting there's a more subtle performance problem as well.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz
13 REPLIES 13

KOBRI.SECTOR.BG
Protege
This thing has been driving me insane too after the last couple of updates...

Using the oculus own OVR metrics tool I found out that GPU usage skyrockets when guardian pops up, to be exact it goes from like 23% to 50-60% even while in the home environment!

Needless to say the more demanding games become an unplayable stuttering mess when you get close to the guardian boundaries

Oculus team please address this issue ASAP

GamingTC2
Protege
How dark is it in your room where you use VR?

Strongit
Heroic Explorer

GamingTC2 said:

How dark is it in your room where you use VR?

It's well lit. I went through this with oculus support and tried nine different rooms in my house with various lighting conditions. It does the same thing in all of them.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz

Strongit
Heroic Explorer
This may be a weird shot in the dark but if you're having the same issues I am are you also using rechargeable AA batteries?  I thought about this with another post that came up.

EDIT: changed out my batteries and tried beat saber, same thing. Figured it wouldn't change anything.

KOBRI.SECTOR.BG
Protege
I highly doubt this issue anything to do with the physical aspect of the guardian system - room lighting, controllers, etc., the problem occurs only when rendering the boundaries!

nikidash
Explorer
Yep. It's damn annoying because of my small playspace, i can't stretch my arms out without activating the boundaries.

Strongit
Heroic Explorer

Kobri said:

I highly doubt this issue anything to do with the physical aspect of the guardian system - room lighting, controllers, etc., the problem occurs only when rendering the boundaries!

I agree, which is why it's so frustrating when the support team asks you to return your device for a new one when it's clearly a software problem.  It wasn't an issue until version 15 and disabling the guardian in developer options gets rid of the problem completely.  I even posted an unlisted YouTube video demonstrating the problem with and without the guardian and sent support the link at their request and they still wanted to exchange it.

KOBRI.SECTOR.BG
Protege
Maybe there is some underlying hardware issue which got exacerbated by the new software updates, who knows...

Strange that not everybody seems affected

How old is your quest? Mine is from the first batches, bought last year in June

Strongit
Heroic Explorer

Kobri said:

Maybe there is some underlying hardware issue which got exacerbated by the new software updates, who knows...

Strange that not everybody seems affected

How old is your quest? Mine is from the first batches, bought last year in June

I bought mine in January so it's fairly new