cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio crackling

Aralon
Explorer
Hi,

I am getting an odd issue, not sure if it’s my headset or what. I have a quest, and when I am using the link, the speakers are crackling when playing games with a lot of audio sources (such as beat sabre when a lot of notes are coming in). It does stop when I turn the volume down to about 1/4 way. It is happening with my own headphones plugged in too. I can’t test it without the link as the only game I have on the quest itself is keep talking which is it an audio intense game.

I did update the device but I am not sure if it’s related to the update or what, as it was working fine just before Christmas. 

Any idea on what the problem is or if it’s related to v12 beta?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Lunatik78
Honored Guest
I found if you have the "PC" volume set to max it crackles. But if you lower it down to say 75-80% then it doesn't crackle. 

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Crazy_Sane
Superstar
Hi,
the crackling audio was a problem for lots of people when the Quest first came out, but they fixed it with an update.
For some reason the problem has returned. I too have had the crackling since around Christmas, but it doesn't happen much.
Hopefully they will correct it again, but it might take a little while.
You should submit a support ticket so Oculus is aware of the problem.

Aralon
Explorer
Good to hear it’s not me, it is very bad for me though. Can’t play games on a decent volume because of it. I have sent a support ticket, I will update with a response.

MountainDog12
Protege
Yup, same here. Only notice it with the link. Not on Virtual Desktop or native Quest apps.

gregor616
Adventurer
I am seeing it when using link. but the sound is fine when I am on quest. I also tried with and without headphones and had the same results.
Oculus Quest 
AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard

Aralon
Explorer
I got a driver update last night through the oculus store, but didn’t get the chance to try it out. Will try it when I get home from work and update this. 

Lunatik78
Honored Guest
I found if you have the "PC" volume set to max it crackles. But if you lower it down to say 75-80% then it doesn't crackle. 

Aralon
Explorer

Lunatik78 said:

This actually worked. Tried it out for my gf and she was playing beat saber loud enough for me to walk in and scare her. She didnt mention any crackling at all and she was the first to notice it. She was playing for over an hour.

JPS.GER
Explorer
Same problem here using Oculus Link - if Oculus Virtual Audio Device is at 100% volume I get heavy audio distortion on built in speakers and with Deluxe Audio Strap headphones in some games. "1943 Berlin Blitz" (free app) is a good test - it's so bad you don't understand anything they say. Reducing volume to 70% in Windows audio settings for that device solves the problem.

TERMINATOR-SSD
Honored Guest

JPS.GER said:

Same problem here using Oculus Link - if Oculus Virtual Audio Device is at 100% volume I get heavy audio distortion on built in speakers and with Deluxe Audio Strap headphones in some games. "1943 Berlin Blitz" (free app) is a good test - it's so bad you don't understand anything they say. Reducing volume to 70% in Windows audio settings for that device solves the problem.

I tried that, but i still have sound crackling. But not on Quest, or Oculus store game, Just in SteamVR games like OnWards. Anything thing that is high audio samples like thunder or gunfire i get really bad crackling. Reducing audio on the headsets mixer in Windows didn't fix it for me 😞

Streaming the games using Virtual Desktop from steam work fine tho. Its just when using the Link or the Anker cable