cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I break my headset or is this a normal thing?

Smooth.zee
Honored Guest

Hello I am making this post to ask a question about a problem that I ran to. So I just bought a third party strap to put on my headset and when I got it attached to my headset I slipped it on and powered it on and when I was on pass through mode parts of my room was black and the outline of my view was a glitchy black and white lights and shapes and it was like I was seeing through a pair of fish eyes and my view was a bit zoomed in.  I hope I did not damage the front cameras while putting the strap on the headset. But anyway I reset the headset thinking it had a hiccup or something and it worked! Everything was normal and the fish eye effect was gone to. So long story short after that bad glitch will there be no more future problems with my headset? I just bought it yesterday so I am a newbie to the quest expirence. Oh And one more thing I want to add. On pass through mode is it normal for things up close to be weird and wavy? Almost like the fish eye expirence? Like for instance when I have my controllers in front of me they look weird and distorted. I think it is called deformation from what I heard. If someone could answer please do. And if this was a long read my apologizes I am getting used to the VR expirence. Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Strongit
Heroic Explorer

In my experience hiccups like that are fairly common.  I've had a quest 1 for over a year and problems like that happen most after software updates.

The best solutions for me have been to clean the cameras, reset your guardian, change the batteries in your controllers, power the headset off completely then power it on again after a minute or so and finally, as a last resort, reset it completely.  That solves 99% of the problems I've had.

Passthrough has been buggy for me on and off too without any real solution.  The waviness, distortion and hiccups in one eye have been happening to me for a couple of months on and off.

Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz