cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EXTREME LAG ON OCULUS LINK AND VIRTUAL DESKTOP FOR QUEST I BEEN TRYIN TO FIGURE OUT FOR MONTHS

EllaBrodieHolly
Honored Guest
hi i have an extremely good pc with geforce graphics and stuff like that i went store to store and finally got the right cable which took me 7 times but the trouble is not over after that i went home and connected it and bought the walking dead saints and sinners once that was done loading i hopped onto it and well in the menu of oculus it self i was noticing some lag but didnt really care cause its the menu but the game just kept lagging so much black screens and stuff like that  i searched on google for hours to try to fix this no one had the same problem i tried shutting down and powering it back on i tried turning it to realtime i dont know whats wrong and just today after 2 months i tried downloading virtual desktop and play games on there and it started lagging on there to so please help
12 REPLIES 12

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
I know this is weird but have you tried a powered usb hub?
The rift really is a power hog low power can cause blackouts and crackling audio.
For my backroom 15x15 playing space I even had to go with a powered usb active cable to clear up the crackling audio.
WAAAGH!

EllaBrodieHolly
Honored Guest

Morgrum said:

The rift really is a power hog low power can cause blackouts and crackling audio.
For my backroom 15x15 playing space I even had to go with a powered usb active cable to clear up the crackling audio.

ok so can u speak a little more simpiler lmaoo please its not crackling audio and it is the quest not the rift and what is a powered usb

EllaBrodieHolly
Honored Guest

Morgrum said:

see i think its my computer like something in the settings cause even on virtual desktop without it being plugged in it still lags

nalex66
MVP
MVP
This sounds like a software conflict, specifically a graphics overlay problem. Try turning off any software that uses a graphics overlay like FPS monitoring software, RBG lighting control software, Steam FPS overlay, Nvidia Shadowplay, MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, F.lux, Fraps, etc. These things can all interfere with the GPU's ability to do the video compression that Link and Virtual Desktop use for streaming to the Quest.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

EllaBrodieHolly
Honored Guest

nalex66 said:

This sounds like a software conflict, specifically a graphics overlay problem. Try turning off any software that uses a graphics overlay like FPS monitoring software, RBG lighting control software, Steam FPS overlay, Nvidia Shadowplay, MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision, F.lux, Fraps, etc. These things can all interfere with the GPU's ability to do the video compression that Link and Virtual Desktop use for streaming to the Quest.

ok thats perfect just in english lmao how do i do this

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I don’t know everything that’s running on your PC, you will need to figure that out. The general problem is that your video card will only support a limited number of programs running at the same time that use its encoder. This includes things like recording software and overlay software (anything that writes to the screen over top of other apps, like FPS monitoring software). If your encoder sessions are all used up, Link and/or Virtual Desktop will not have the resources they need to do their thing, and you will get a stuttery experience. 

To figure out if this is your problem, you need to turn off background programs or features that might be causing the conflict. As I listed earlier, some of the most common suspects are GeForce Experience (the FPS display and Shadowplay recording feature), the Steam overlay (FPS counter), MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision (GPU overclocking and monitoring software), and RGB lighting control software.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
To see if it's a software conflict (which seems likely) try starting your PC in safe mode with networking and trying link/VD again. This only loads the basic drivers needed to operate the system. I'm not sure it'll work but it's fairly easy to do and a reboot puts you right back to normal. Here's a link on how to if you want to try it.   https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
You can also look in your task manager to see what is running.
Afterwards go into your boot settings to stop them booting up automatically 
WAAAGH!

EllaBrodieHolly
Honored Guest

ufcan i tried doing that and it would not let me open oculus is there a certain setting i have to hit