cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How "front heavy" is the oculus quest?

Sun18
Honored Guest
I heard that the oculus quest can feel very heavy after long hours of usage, is that true?
9 REPLIES 9

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I think if you do a bit of research you will find that this is generally the case.  Personally I don't think it's too bad for short ~30-45 minute sessions but anything longer is kinda uncomfortable (but not painful) for me, esp. compared to the Rift cv1 or Rift S.

Again, if you do a bit of searching you will find a lot of alternatives on how to make it more comfortable for longer usage.  For me, adding a 10000mahr battery pack with a couple of velcro straps on the back of the Quest headset improved the comfort quite a bit. With a short charge cable it's also provided a lot more runtime.  This is the cable I use;

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07PFHB3R4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

killkrt
Honored Guest
Same here, it's not super light, but anyway I can afford playing Beat Saber for 30 minutes without any fatigue or pain. Anyway as already mentioned there are some tricks to make it more balanced (front-back), such as stuff from VRCover

Kentobi
Heroic Explorer
I’ve never had weight related fatigue, but I’ve also not owned another consumer headset to compare it to, so in a vacuum I think it’s plenty comfortable. I’ve played a couple of hours of Alyx in a row and didn’t feel like I had to stop due to headset comfort. And everyone’s head is different, but a counterweight doesn’t do much for me. Make sure the middle strap is extended and cradles your head properly. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have both Rift S and Quest, and have used them both a fair amount - Rift S of course way more than Quest.
Rift S is more comfortable to me, yes the Quest is a little front heavy but really I did not find it so uncomfortable that it would limit my time using it. The heat it generates as a stand alone irritated me more than the comfort of using it.

Hooked up to my PC via Link I could use it for long period of time with no issue.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

I have both Rift S and Quest, and have used them both a fair amount - Rift S of course way more than Quest.
Rift S is more comfortable to me, yes the Quest is a little front heavy but really I did not find it so uncomfortable that it would limit my time using it. The heat it generates as a stand alone irritated me more than the comfort of using it.

Hooked up to my PC via Link I could use it for long period of time with no issue.

I really have not noticed any significant heat from my Quest standalone, including wireless with Virtual Desktop.  Probably slightly less heat than my Go.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

killswitch85
Expert Protege
Recently just bought the quest and honestly no issue for me. I played for around 2 hours the other night without any issues. The battery runs down before I do.

Rosto79
Protege
If you wear it the right way... it's acceptable. You can make it better with some of the well-known accessoires like the VR-cover stuff or GOQuestVR.

I play with an Aliexpress head-strap and a VR-cover Rift cover... and can play for more than an hour. Only thing it when boxing or heavy Beat Saber I have to take brakes because I'm worn out haha. 

Digikid1
Consultant
It is VERY front heavy and it is noticed almost immediately.  First thing you will want to do is replace the VERY UNCOMFORTABLE facial interface with something else.  VR Cover will probably be best.

Apparently Oculus didn't do any testing with the facial cover.  It digs right into your sinuses and is quite annoying.

hate138
Explorer
This is the big problem with the quest for sure. I love my quest and lately ive been playing alyx with it. I found that if i adjust the strap so its way down on the back of my head and rubbed right up against the top of my ears the front isnt so heavy anymore. You just really have to shift that weight as much as possible.