cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've noticed a few minor issues with my Quest after spending a day with it..

Nikorasu
Adventurer

So
after spending a full day with my Quest, and also getting and trying
the Oculus Earbuds today, I have a few odd issues I'd like to mention to
the community here, to see if they're common to everyone, or an unusual
flaw.. Each on their own wouldn't normally be enough for me to complain
about or get an exchange for, but I'm finding so many small issues, that it's making me worry.

The first one I noticed, was the fabric along the right side below
the headphone jack clicks when held there/pressed on, like the sound of a
sticker with a bubble under it, or tape that's not properly stuck
down.. I find myself touching that spot whenever I shift/adjust the
headset on my face to make it fit right. Not a major issue on it's own,
but it could get worse over time. And it is kinda distracting..

There's a minor brightness gradient in the left eye, when viewing
certain black screens.. Basically a lighter-looking zone covering
roughly half that screen. And one eye, I think it's in the right, seems
to have a faint green pixel on black screens, off in my peripheral
view.. Tho neither of these issues is all that bad, or noticeable unless
you're looking for it. My original Rift had similar screen issues like
these, and they eventually exchanged it for one that didn't, but this
isn't quite that bad.

There's also some odd screen tearing/glitches that can sometimes
happen at almost regular intervals (every few moments), most noticeably
in the Home menu, but also in other apps, right across the middle of my
view. As well as an occasional audio glitch, most noticeable when I
mouse over menu items in the Home menu. The audio glitch reminds me of a
similar one that used to happen with my Oculus Go, until I got a
replacement.. And it seemed to fix itself, at least for now, by
restarting the device, but not sure it's gone.

Finally, the Oculus Quest Earbuds I just got today seem to have a
noticeable static buzz/hiss that occurs in every app and Home.. Only
stopping during the transitions between apps.. I happen to also have the
Oculus Earbuds for my CV1 Rift, and they do not have any significant
buzz/static noise like this, which is why I noticed it so badly. This
was the final issue that prompted me to make this post.. 😕

46 REPLIES 46

slapStickVR
Protege

Eispfogel said:

It happens everywhere. Just go to your Homescreen and turn around to the bookshelf. Then move your head slowly left to right and back. You should see this effect after a few movements.

Exactly. That is where and how I first noticed it, right after setting up the device and ever since I am using the device. It is also VERY noticable in Big Screen. 

YES! that same thing is happening to me, also in Oculus Quest Home. Sometimes looks exactly like that and sometimes is more like a little portion of the screen is not refreshing and stays in place when moving the head horizontally, only in a fraction of a second. it's called "Tearing" right?

My question here is, is this happening to all headsets? If so, why people is not saying anything about this??
Please somebody from Oculus Team can you tell us if this is a performance issue or a hardware issue? because I was about to return my Quest until I read this forum.

The horizontal/diagonal split refresh issue is what I am also noticing. Both of my Quests have the same issues as quoted here - and it is extremly annoying to me. 

Hardware issue? Firmware issue? Performance issue? Software issue? Can it be fixed remotely or should we return those faulty headsets?
Oculus - we need a statement!

Update: Graphical issues look exactly like this. Thanks to Youtuber "Zitronenarzt VR". 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G8WKX27u1Q

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
I just noticed that the fan itself isn't that loud!
The Front Plate is kind of lose and so the whole unit is vibrating. When i just touch the front the noise is gone!
i will try to tape the front and see if that does the trick ^^

pyroth309
Visionary
I am getting the tearing/blinking thing, I just not getting the weird lines/artifacting like that pic showed. Good to know they're working on the screen tearing because it's starting to annoy me. It seems to be worse in some games than others. i don't see it at all in beat saber. 

h.r.gargi
Heroic Explorer
Problem is if you see it once you see it always. And you are looking for it what is destracting you from the VR experience. I hope they fix it very soon. In this state I am not very keen on using it  :'(
Meta Facebook Community Accelerator 2022 winner
Facebook Community Partner
Founder of the Meta Quest VR Familie - The largest German Facebook Group for VR and Metaverse
https://www.facebook.com/groups/oculusvrgermany/

Lujho
Expert Protege
You're the first person I've seen who's received the Quest earbuds. The issue you mention aside, can you tell abit more about them? I haven't even seen a proper pic of what they look like. Could you please post one?

Badmonk
Protege
Played Superhot, Vader, face your fears 2 and Robo Recall and nope not noticed any of these things you’re mentioning. Maybe I am too immersed in the game......
Been playing my quest for 3 days now.  

Dark-o
Honored Guest

Nikorasu said:

There's also some odd screen tearing/glitches that can sometimes
happen at almost regular intervals (every few moments), most noticeably
in the Home menu, but also in other apps, right across the middle of my
view. As well as an occasional audio glitch, most noticeable when I
mouse over menu items in the Home menu. The audio glitch reminds me of a
similar one that used to happen with my Oculus Go, until I got a
replacement.. And it seemed to fix itself, at least for now, by
restarting the device, but not sure it's gone.

me too :neutral:

Eispfogel said:

The Quest is uncomfortable to wear.
... cut ...  PSVR are the best design for VR HMDs.
... cut ...

Integrated Speaker are OK, but crackle up most of the time.
... cut ...
The smell...
I like the smell of new cars/PVC and books(even some old books smell awesome 😜 ), but the Quest just stinks and after a while the whole room smells like that. It is pretty bad and unpleasent. I hope the smell goes away after a few weeks...i really don't like it. 

No USB C to USB A Adapter. 
Some Notebooks use USB-C and some even with Thunderbolt 3, but most PCs and older Notebooks only have USB 2.0/3.0 so it would be nice if Oculus just provided an adapter out of the box.
me too :neutral:

But I can tolerate these things at launch time, my worse problem instead is another: 
Everytime, after around 15/20 minutes, it seems the Quest gets hot enough to make me feel pain in my forehead and my forehead  warms up as if I had a fever. So I have to remove the Quest for half an hour (meanwhile, I feel like a strange little headache).
I have a playstation VR that I can use for hours whitout problems, but the Quest instead becomes like a torture machine on your head after few dozen of minutes. If I touch it with my hands it does not look so hot, but makes me painfully burn my forehead.
This also happened to other people I had the Quest try...

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Aton1977
Explorer
I also observed the light bleeding. Especially the left display is affected. I assume it's light coming from the upper white LED. This will probably shine inwards. If I was brave enough, I'd open the quest and check. Maybe one of you will.
Tearing is another thing. I hope that Oculus can do it with a firmware update.

Eispfogel
Expert Protege

Aton1977 said:

I also observed the light bleeding. Especially the left display is affected. I assume it's light coming from the upper white LED. This will probably shine inwards. If I was brave enough, I'd open the quest and check. Maybe one of you will.
Tearing is another thing. I hope that Oculus can do it with a firmware update.

Don't try to open it just now, because you might destroy the Headset in the process:
https://medium.com/badvr/oculus-quest-headset-disassembly-2f404b004a3c

ZendarwolfYT
Honored Guest
Has anyone else had their games crashing regularly? Its mostly been multiplayer games for me.