cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've noticed a few minor issues with my Quest after spending a day with it..

Nikorasu
Adventurer

So
after spending a full day with my Quest, and also getting and trying
the Oculus Earbuds today, I have a few odd issues I'd like to mention to
the community here, to see if they're common to everyone, or an unusual
flaw.. Each on their own wouldn't normally be enough for me to complain
about or get an exchange for, but I'm finding so many small issues, that it's making me worry.

The first one I noticed, was the fabric along the right side below
the headphone jack clicks when held there/pressed on, like the sound of a
sticker with a bubble under it, or tape that's not properly stuck
down.. I find myself touching that spot whenever I shift/adjust the
headset on my face to make it fit right. Not a major issue on it's own,
but it could get worse over time. And it is kinda distracting..

There's a minor brightness gradient in the left eye, when viewing
certain black screens.. Basically a lighter-looking zone covering
roughly half that screen. And one eye, I think it's in the right, seems
to have a faint green pixel on black screens, off in my peripheral
view.. Tho neither of these issues is all that bad, or noticeable unless
you're looking for it. My original Rift had similar screen issues like
these, and they eventually exchanged it for one that didn't, but this
isn't quite that bad.

There's also some odd screen tearing/glitches that can sometimes
happen at almost regular intervals (every few moments), most noticeably
in the Home menu, but also in other apps, right across the middle of my
view. As well as an occasional audio glitch, most noticeable when I
mouse over menu items in the Home menu. The audio glitch reminds me of a
similar one that used to happen with my Oculus Go, until I got a
replacement.. And it seemed to fix itself, at least for now, by
restarting the device, but not sure it's gone.

Finally, the Oculus Quest Earbuds I just got today seem to have a
noticeable static buzz/hiss that occurs in every app and Home.. Only
stopping during the transitions between apps.. I happen to also have the
Oculus Earbuds for my CV1 Rift, and they do not have any significant
buzz/static noise like this, which is why I noticed it so badly. This
was the final issue that prompted me to make this post.. 😕

46 REPLIES 46

zioX
Honored Guest
I've noticed both the audio glitch and the random tearing / glitches. Audio isn't that big of a problem for me as it doesn't happen as often but the green glitches happen randomly like you said. Does anyone else experience this?

Eispfogel
Expert Protege
I hope i can post my issues with the Quest here too. If you don't want that, then please tell me that and i will delete this!
These are just the tings i noticed when using it for a day.

The Mura Effect is only noticable in dark scenes - it looks exactly like on PSVR. The right eye has a darker gradient then the left, which makes me feel like i am going blind. But this is only in those transitions and not visible when a game started(for me at least). I have no dead pixel this time, but you seem to have a stuck green pixel 😕

The Godrays however are GOD AWFUL. I cannot believe that those reviewers did not notice that....it makes the whole screen look like it is covered with some kind of smear 😞 Very noticable in scenes with black background and white text(like when the oculus logo is displayed). I cannot understand the reviewers who said they did not notice that. It is everywhere and just as bad as on the Lenovo Explorer WMR Headset(and almost all other first gen WMR Headsets).
The lenses have a small sweetspot too so you still have to constantly fiddle around to get the best clarity(more on that later).

The Low Framerate/Hz makes me dizzy 😕 
Just play Sports scramble and just swing whatever you have in your hand and you will see the choppy movement. I cannot play this at all 😞 They tried to mask this with some kind of motion blur, or the thing you have in your hand gets bigger(similiar to the lightsaber in Vader Immortal), so the gaps in the rendering aren't that noticable, but i can see it and when i move my head i notice the low framerate. It feels like i look at a strobe light, or when you drive on a street and get hit by shadows from trees. very distracting and unplayable for me.

The Guardian is way to sensitive
Playing Beat Saber with this is impossible. The Guardian constantly shows up and there is noo way to configure it for now.
I would like just the outline on the floor, like on SteamVR. For now i can only disable the guardian completly or i make the boundaries so huge that the guardian doesn't make sense anymore.

The Quest is uncomfortable to wear.
It is better than the Go! The Go always hurt my face after a while, so i did not use it that much. The Quest is better in that regard, but it still feels front heavy and you will end up with a VR face after a short while.I made sure it is seated correctly(see RaMarcus youtube video about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5L3qAdCcOw ), but it won't help much...this is an issue with all Face Hugger Headsets.
A Halo strap would be much better, because the Headset would not sit on your face, but on your forehead. The issue with the Quest is not only the VR face, but also when you speak/laugh/move your face muscles the headset will move downwards. That means you have to constantly fiddle around to move it back to your sweet spot...i hate that. This is not an issue with the Halostrap design and this is the reason i still think the WMR Headsets and PSVR are the best design for VR HMDs.
Oculus could design it to make it detachable for easier storage. I would like that option and just choose which Headstrap i can use! 
Also....i have long hair with an undercut, so PSVR for example never moves and i can get very easy in there. The Quest however....it is just hard to move my hair out of the way to get it seated correctly. This wouldn't be an issue if we all are as bald as Mike (Virtual Reality Oasis), but it is an issue for me, kid and wife. If you just let it sit on the hair the headset might move downwards and you do not want that.

Fan noise
Again something which reviewers didn't say....I first noticed the noise when setting up the Quest for the first time. It gets high pitched and also very noticable. After the setup it was gone, but when you play a game or just sit in the home screen you will hear it. At first i thought this is some kind of background noise but when i removed the headset i could hear that it is in fact the fan which makes that noise 😞

Integrated Speaker are OK, but crackle up most of the time.
It seems that we need different Audio Profiles when using the integrated speakers, or Headphones, because the bass in some games just kill the integrated ones, but when they remove the bass it would also affect Headphone users.
Just play Space Pirate Trainer for example. When you use grenades the bass is so overwhelming that the speakers are crackling. They do that with other explosions too. You have to lower the volume to circumvent the distortion but since the gun sounds are VERY muffled to begin with you might as well play without sounds...(music is FINE, but the gun sounds are off...you cannot adjust the volume in SPT, just turn on/off the music and that's it...and who plays SPT without music?)
So just kill the bass when using integrated speaker and give us bass when using headphones. Some kind of global equalizer would also work i guess, so that game devs don't need extra work for that.
The static noise sounds like it was some intentional background noise at first, but it sounds like the first integrated audio solutions or bad shielded ones. I am used to that from Raspberry Pi's, the first Asus EEE PC and my old Pentium MMX 233 PC, but hearing that on this device...i dunno...
But then again...i like it when i hear the CPU working, it is just like music 😜 

The Controllers are to small and the battery cover comes off to easy.
Why didn't they design the cover so that you have to move the cover upwards and not backwards is beyond me. It slips open very easy in games like beat saber and you might squish you skin when moving it back...
Also the controllers are too small and most games have an unnatural angle when holding something. 
You can alter the angle in SPT and only 130 feels fine for me, but Beat Saber and Vader Immortal just feels wrong.

The smell...
I like the smell of new cars/PVC and books(even some old books smell awesome 😜 ), but the Quest just stinks and after a while the whole room smells like that. It is pretty bad and unpleasent. I hope the smell goes away after a few weeks...i really don't like it. 

No USB C to USB A Adapter. 
Some Notebooks use USB-C and some even with Thunderbolt 3, but most PCs and older Notebooks only have USB 2.0/3.0 so it would be nice if Oculus just provided an adapter out of the box. I now have to use a third party cable which doesn't fit correctly and a slight touch might break the connection...i now have to look for a cable which works....that sucks! Oculus has provided a nice fitting cable and a very long one...just the adapter is missing.

No SD-Card Support
Neither 64, nor 128GB are enough space....Vader Immortal will be around 3 hours in gameplay, when all Episodes are out and at least 10gb in size. If we want games with a story and gameplay which don't end after 1-5 hours we will end up with games that are at least 10-15gb in size. Short Experiences are nice, but i still want something like Zelda, The Witcher 3, Destiny and MMOs which keep me covered for 20-60 hours at least. The fidelity on Quest might suffer, but i guess something like the first World of Warcraft could run on the Quest and that wasn't small either.
"REAL" Games will need space. You cannot use compression tricks, or procedural generation like on 64k demos for everything. A full length 20 hour game with a story and voice acting will get to 15gb very easy.  
Since the internal storage is a single point of failure i don't want to use it that much. A disposable SD-Card would be great to constantly shuffle movies and games around, without worrying to wear down the internal none replacable memory. Movies aren't small either....i know you can stream movies, or just use Netflix, but if you drive to a place without network, or a PC you wan't to take some movies with you.

No Multi User Support, no Multilanguage support, or a way to choose which language i want to download a game, no way to gift games, no cloud saves or other backup solution for savegames(even a PS1 had this back then...) so many things that are wrong and you all see that when using it for 5 minutes. It is not like those are hard to solve engineering issues, it just seems the QA was ignored, or they ran out of time.

I still love the Quest and i will keep my Quest though, because i can ignore most of the issues and just have a fun time. And now..back to that Quake GVR Port 🙂

Maniac618
Protege
Can confirm I have the audio pops and clicks and the screen glitching / tearing too.
Previous owner of DK2, current owner of Vive & Quest.

Sicktrash
Expert Protege
I agree with bad God rays, uncomfortable face cover, overly sensitive guardian system and the battery covers sliding off too easily.

The other issues I haven't experienced

Dreagleg
Protege

Eispfogel said:

I hope i can post my issues with the Quest here too. If you don't want that, then please tell me that and i will delete this!
These are just the tings i noticed when using it for a day.

The Mura Effect is only noticable in dark scenes - it looks exactly like on PSVR. The right eye has a darker gradient then the left, which makes me feel like i am going blind. But this is only in those transitions and not visible when a game started(for me at least). I have no dead pixel this time, but you seem to have a stuck green pixel 😕

The Godrays however are GOD AWFUL. I cannot believe that those reviewers did not notice that....it makes the whole screen look like it is covered with some kind of smear 😞 Very noticable in scenes with black background and white text(like when the oculus logo is displayed). I cannot understand the reviewers who said they did not notice that. It is everywhere and just as bad as on the Lenovo Explorer WMR Headset(and almost all other first gen WMR Headsets).
The lenses have a small sweetspot too so you still have to constantly fiddle around to get the best clarity(more on that later).

The Low Framerate/Hz makes me dizzy 😕 
Just play Sports scramble and just swing whatever you have in your hand and you will see the choppy movement. I cannot play this at all 😞 They tried to mask this with some kind of motion blur, or the thing you have in your hand gets bigger(similiar to the lightsaber in Vader Immortal), so the gaps in the rendering aren't that noticable, but i can see it and when i move my head i notice the low framerate. It feels like i look at a strobe light, or when you drive on a street and get hit by shadows from trees. very distracting and unplayable for me.

The Guardian is way to sensitive
Playing Beat Saber with this is impossible. The Guardian constantly shows up and there is noo way to configure it for now.
I would like just the outline on the floor, like on SteamVR. For now i can only disable the guardian completly or i make the boundaries so huge that the guardian doesn't make sense anymore.

It is better than the Go! The Go always hurt my face after a while, so i did not use it that much. The Quest is better in that regard, but it still feels front heavy and you will end up with a VR face after a short while.I made sure it is seated correctly(see RaMarcus youtube video about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5L3qAdCcOw ), but it won't help much...this is an issue with all Face Hugger Headsets.
A Halo strap would be much better, because the Headset would not sit on your face, but on your forehead. The issue with the Quest is not only the VR face, but also when you speak/laugh/move your face muscles the headset will move downwards. That means you have to constantly fiddle around to move it back to your sweet spot...i hate that. This is not an issue with the Halostrap design and this is the reason i still think the WMR Headsets and PSVR are the best design for VR HMDs.
Oculus could design it to make it detachable for easier storage. I would like that option and just choose which Headstrap i can use! 
Also....i have long hair with an undercut, so PSVR for example never moves and i can get very easy in there. The Quest however....it is just hard to move my hair out of the way to get it seated correctly. This wouldn't be an issue if we all are as bald as Mike (Virtual Reality Oasis), but it is an issue for me, kid and wife. If you just let it sit on the hair the headset might move downwards and you do not want that.

Fan noise
Again something which reviewers didn't say....I first noticed the noise when setting up the Quest for the first time. It gets high pitched and also very noticable. After the setup it was gone, but when you play a game or just sit in the home screen you will hear it. At first i thought this is some kind of background noise but when i removed the headset i could hear that it is in fact the fan which makes that noise 😞

Integrated Speaker are OK, but crackle up most of the time.
It seems that we need different Audio Profiles when using the integrated speakers, or Headphones, because the bass in some games just kill the integrated ones, but when they remove the bass it would also affect Headphone users.
Just play Space Pirate Trainer for example. When you use grenades the bass is so overwhelming that the speakers are crackling. They do that with other explosions too. You have to lower the volume to circumvent the distortion but since the gun sounds are VERY muffled to begin with you might as well play without sounds...(music is FINE, but the gun sounds are off...you cannot adjust the volume in SPT, just turn on/off the music and that's it...and who plays SPT without music?)
So just kill the bass when using integrated speaker and give us bass when using headphones. Some kind of global equalizer would also work i guess, so that game devs don't need extra work for that.
The static noise sounds like it was some intentional background noise at first, but it sounds like the first integrated audio solutions or bad shielded ones. I am used to that from Raspberry Pi's, the first Asus EEE PC and my old Pentium MMX 233 PC, but hearing that on this device...i dunno...
But then again...i like it when i hear the CPU working, it is just like music 😜 

The Controllers are to small and the battery cover comes off to easy.
Why didn't they design the cover so that you have to move the cover upwards and not backwards is beyond me. It slips open very easy in games like beat saber and you might squish you skin when moving it back...
Also the controllers are too small and most games have an unnatural angle when holding something. 
You can alter the angle in SPT and only 130 feels fine for me, but Beat Saber and Vader Immortal just feels wrong.

The smell...
I like the smell of new cars/PVC and books(even some old books smell awesome 😜 ), but the Quest just stinks and after a while the whole room smells like that. It is pretty bad and unpleasent. I hope the smell goes away after a few weeks...i really don't like it. 

No USB C to USB A Adapter. 
Some Notebooks use USB-C and some even with Thunderbolt 3, but most PCs and older Notebooks only have USB 2.0/3.0 so it would be nice if Oculus just provided an adapter out of the box. I now have to use a third party cable which doesn't fit correctly and a slight touch might break the connection...i now have to look for a cable which works....that sucks! Oculus has provided a nice fitting cable and a very long one...just the adapter is missing.

No SD-Card Support
Neither 64, nor 128GB are enough space....Vader Immortal will be around 3 hours in gameplay, when all Episodes are out and at least 10gb in size. If we want games with a story and gameplay which don't end after 1-5 hours we will end up with games that are at least 10-15gb in size. Short Experiences are nice, but i still want something like Zelda, The Witcher 3, Destiny and MMOs which keep me covered for 20-60 hours at least. The fidelity on Quest might suffer, but i guess something like the first World of Warcraft could run on the Quest and that wasn't small either.
"REAL" Games will need space. You cannot use compression tricks, or procedural generation like on 64k demos for everything. A full length 20 hour game with a story and voice acting will get to 15gb very easy.  
Since the internal storage is a single point of failure i don't want to use it that much. A disposable SD-Card would be great to constantly shuffle movies and games around, without worrying to wear down the internal none replacable memory. Movies aren't small either....i know you can stream movies, or just use Netflix, but if you drive to a place without network, or a PC you wan't to take some movies with you.

No Multi User Support, no Multilanguage support, or a way to choose which language i want to download a game, no way to gift games, no cloud saves or other backup solution for savegames(even a PS1 had this back then...) so many things that are wrong and you all see that when using it for 5 minutes. It is not like those are hard to solve engineering issues, it just seems the QA was ignored, or they ran out of time.

I still love the Quest and i will keep my Quest though, because i can ignore most of the issues and just have a fun time. And now..back to that Quake GVR Port 🙂

Sounds like you need a refund... 

Fishstaebchen
Protege
I have the sound issues, too! Only fixed by restarting the Quest.

The screen glitches / graphic bugs are the most awful bug i have. I tried to simulate it via Photoshop. They look something like this:

m12k3cwfmlgj.jpg

This "glitchy errors" dont come that often. But every time i used the Quest there appeard once ore twice. Is this a hardware error?

MiaFey
Honored Guest

Eispfogel said:

I can't agree more on this point. For the two days I've had it I have been battling with this problem. It is better when I play games, but when I sit down and watch a movie etc it becomes so uncomfortable that it hurts. I got a fabric cover which eases the pain a bit more, but it is still rather front-weighted that it literally sits on my cheekbones....

I did some tests last night, and it seems that if I add a little bit of weight on the level bar of the back strap it will improve this dramatically so it is the weight distribution that is the biggest issue. I don't know why it has the Y shape strap but it never sits flat on my head - human heads are just not round I guess? it stops left and right movement for me just fine, but other than that there is no support/balance for the headset. 

I'm wondering whether there is a simple mod I could do to improve things. I don't want to have to hang a weight to the back of my head when I play. Maybe someone will make a chest/shoulder mount so that it has something at the back balancing the weight?

I didn't know it was not detachable/interchangeable?? Pain.....well at least it'll make sure that I don't spend the whole day with it....

Maniac618
Protege

I have the sound issues, too! Only fixed by restarting the Quest.

The screen glitches / graphic bugs are the most awful bug i have. I tried to simulate it via Photoshop. They look something like this:

m12k3cwfmlgj.jpg

This "glitchy errors" dont come that often. But every time i used the Quest there appeard once ore twice. Is this a hardware error?

Spot on, same. Sometimes like that and sometimes as if there's horizontal screen tearing or a frame dropped here and there at the same time.
Previous owner of DK2, current owner of Vive & Quest.

TheDW
Honored Guest
I've noticed some of these issues, but for me the most troubling is the tendency for either the left or right controller to stop registering movement. It's frequent enough to make the games nearly unplayable. I have to stop mid-game to remove the battery from the "frozen" controller and reinsert it to get it to start working again.

Is anyone else having this issue?