cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've noticed a few minor issues with my Quest after spending a day with it..

Nikorasu
Adventurer

So
after spending a full day with my Quest, and also getting and trying
the Oculus Earbuds today, I have a few odd issues I'd like to mention to
the community here, to see if they're common to everyone, or an unusual
flaw.. Each on their own wouldn't normally be enough for me to complain
about or get an exchange for, but I'm finding so many small issues, that it's making me worry.

The first one I noticed, was the fabric along the right side below
the headphone jack clicks when held there/pressed on, like the sound of a
sticker with a bubble under it, or tape that's not properly stuck
down.. I find myself touching that spot whenever I shift/adjust the
headset on my face to make it fit right. Not a major issue on it's own,
but it could get worse over time. And it is kinda distracting..

There's a minor brightness gradient in the left eye, when viewing
certain black screens.. Basically a lighter-looking zone covering
roughly half that screen. And one eye, I think it's in the right, seems
to have a faint green pixel on black screens, off in my peripheral
view.. Tho neither of these issues is all that bad, or noticeable unless
you're looking for it. My original Rift had similar screen issues like
these, and they eventually exchanged it for one that didn't, but this
isn't quite that bad.

There's also some odd screen tearing/glitches that can sometimes
happen at almost regular intervals (every few moments), most noticeably
in the Home menu, but also in other apps, right across the middle of my
view. As well as an occasional audio glitch, most noticeable when I
mouse over menu items in the Home menu. The audio glitch reminds me of a
similar one that used to happen with my Oculus Go, until I got a
replacement.. And it seemed to fix itself, at least for now, by
restarting the device, but not sure it's gone.

Finally, the Oculus Quest Earbuds I just got today seem to have a
noticeable static buzz/hiss that occurs in every app and Home.. Only
stopping during the transitions between apps.. I happen to also have the
Oculus Earbuds for my CV1 Rift, and they do not have any significant
buzz/static noise like this, which is why I noticed it so badly. This
was the final issue that prompted me to make this post.. 😕

46 REPLIES 46

Anonymous
Not applicable
everybody is saying godrays, mura and terrible fit. i barely see any godrays (compared to the godray rift), no mura, and the face cover is the comfiest cover i ever used  B)

the only problem i have is the audio and mic. playing dead and buried, the vibration from the headset makes high pitch noises into the mic......and i had robo recall crashed once on me while i was livestreaming

Nikorasu
Adventurer
I'm also noticing some BAD tracking issues.. That I'm worried might be a sign of an issue with this unit. 😕 And I can't imagine trying to get ahold of Oculus Support with how busy they are now, or getting amazon to replace it, knowing how sold-out they are.

When I put the headset on, it frequently doesn't know where the controllers are.. It usually shows them floating in the air about a foot or so away from where they really are, and it takes them a second before they'll move and correct themselves, jumping back to my real hands, when I finally find them and pick them up, but even then it takes a half-second to jump. This happens almost every time I put the headset on, unless I was JUST using them a moment ago, then it seems to work ok. Makes it very hard to find them most of the time, and I've only ever seen the pop-ups that are supposed to point to them one time.

Also, in Beat Saber, I'm unable to score higher than an A, and only in NORMAL difficulty, on songs I can normally get S on the harder settings.. The headset seems to lose track of one of my controllers, randomly about once or twice per song. Even when the controller is CLEARLY within view of the cameras.. This causes me to miss a note or 2, and I've been unable to get a full combo or get above an A on anything. It's really sad after having bought Beat Saber at full price for a second time.
I can play slower games just fine, but things that require fast/accurate timing tend to miss enough to ruin gameplay.

Nikorasu
Adventurer
wtf where did my post go? I just wrote a post about tracking issues..

Nikorasu
Adventurer
Well if my post doesn't come back.. Here's the short version:
The headset doesn't seem to know where the controllers are when I put it on, they're usually floating in the wrong place, and take a second or so to jump to correct location once I find them.
And I can't play Beat Saber, cause tracking seems to lose track of one hand or the other at random moments, even when controllers should have been in view of tracking cameras still. Can't score over an A on normal, and certainly can't get full combos, tried many times on songs I can normally ace. No reflective surfaces, tracking set to 60hz, good lighting no sun..

pyroth309
Visionary

everybody is saying godrays, mura and terrible fit. i barely see any godrays (compared to the godray rift), no mura, and the face cover is the comfiest cover i ever used  B)

I only see mura on a pitch black loading screen. It's pretty minor for me. I didn't notice God Rays at all the first day. I had to look for them before it became apparent.
They are there but a lot more subtle than CV1 which is blasting you in the pupil lol. They aren't a problem for me on Quest. 

And I can't play Beat Saber, cause tracking seems to lose track of one hand or the other at random moments, even when controllers should have been in view of tracking cameras still. Can't score over an A on normal, and certainly can't get full combos, tried many times on songs I can normally ace. No reflective surfaces, tracking set to 60hz, good lighting no sun..

I ran through most of the songs on expert and I'm in top 10 in just about all of them from just playing normal and not try harding so obviously I'm not having a big problem. That said I have run into several tracking glitches. I still ghost through boxes with no register, Or one of the touches will take a break on me and stop tracking despite being in the cameras. Or it will completely disappear for awhile and come back after a few seconds.

I think most of the tracking issues will get worked out over time through software. 

I'm enjoying my Quest. It's just so damn convenient despite the issues and flaws. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Biggest issues for me is the comfort on the forehead. The material is too abrasive. The second is the fact you can't use the Quest in low light scenarios. The software should let you continue watching movies in the dark etc with 3dof or limited control. At present it locks you out completely. This is for those who sit in bed with a partner who is sleeping. You can't turn on the lights although admittedly, in some low-light scenarios it barely works.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

pyroth309
Visionary

Biggest issues for me is the comfort on the forehead. The material is too abrasive. The second is the fact you can't use the Quest in low light scenarios. The software should let you continue watching movies in the dark etc with 3dof or limited control. At present it locks you out completely. This is for those who sit in bed with a partner who is sleeping. You can't turn on the lights although admittedly, in some low-light scenarios it barely works.

Let me know how VRCover works out for you if you go that route. I'm not having any comfort issues with my Quest fabric other than it obviously being very front heavy after wearing it for hours. I may get a Cover if it improves comfort for people. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

Nikorasu said:

wtf where did my post go? I just wrote a post about tracking issues..

I'm not sure why, but that post got flagged by the spam filter (must be some keyword or something, volunteer mods don't have access to forum configuration). I've restored it and approved your account so it shouldn't happen again.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Nikorasu
Adventurer
Thanks!

Anyone know if doing an exchange through amazon would even be possible at this point, or will I have to wait till the middle of june for a replacement? since that's how long they're back-ordered.. There's so many small things wrong with my headset, and the tracking is a pretty big one, that other people aren't having nearing the same issues with at all, I'd almost feel better just getting it replaced at this point, see if the next unit is a little better.

RHunterr
Expert Protege

Badmonk said:

Played Superhot, Vader, face your fears 2 and Robo Recall and nope not noticed any of these things you’re mentioning. Maybe I am too immersed in the game......
Been playing my quest for 3 days now.  

Same here. Vader, Robo Recall, and haven't noticed any of the above mentioned things.