cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improving oculus Link Performance?

MikeWoodman
Explorer

Been trying out my new PC with a quest 2 / link cable. Half Life Alyx appears to be the most problematic. I appear to meet the recommended specs, though I appreciate the quest 2 is more processor intensive. 

It started off running quite well at 90hz, but now I'm experiencing frequent stuttering.

• MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT Mech OC 8GB GDDR6 Navi Graphics Card

• Ryzen 7 3700X 8 core

• 32gb ram

• Windows 10 professional, all updates installed.

• The original build didn't come with a USB3 C connector, so I added one of these: PCI-E to usb3 expansion card.

So: Things I've tried:

• Restricting the frame rate to 72hz in the oculus software, as well as lowering the resolution down to its lowest option.

• Running the game in 'low fidelity'.

• Turning off pc screen, (not sure if having the social screen running would impact on performance?)

• Updating the quest 2 to the latest system software.

Things I haven't tried:

• Using a different USB port with a USB3 compliant adapter for the link cable rather than using the USB3 C port added on the expansion card. 

• Messing around with the oculus debug tool to any degree. I tried experimenting with this but quickly got out of my depth. Ps: is there a way to reset to default settings? Finding a screenshot of the latest builds default settings is tricky.

I'm pretty green when it comes to experimenting with anything more complex that the above so all help and advice gratefully received.

22 REPLIES 22

MikeWoodman
Explorer
Amazing thanks!

lensmandave
Superstar

Has your Quest and PC updated to the latest firmware/software v23?
If yes, then resolution and refresh rate should be adjusted under devices in the Oculus PC app. Debug tool is kind of unnecessary and could complicate fine tuning.
You mention Half Life Alyx, check that you have Steam VR settings set to default as a starting point.

Quest and oculus software fully updated :-:smile:

As you say -  I have been trying to stick to the tools in the PC app recently, and indeed, I have a horrible feeling I have nudged a setting in the debug tool, as it was kind of running fine, and then perhaps in my attempts to fine-tune initial minor stuttering, I may have made a mess of things? That's what happens when you randomly try out stuff on youtube I guess!

@PITTCANNA helpfully suggested setting everything to zero to make sure I have defaults - but some settings don't reset to a numerical value. How close am I to default settings with the following?

joaeyqadohrn.png

Oh and thanks for the tip re SteamVR settings - I'll try accessing apps consistently though SteamVR now and check those settings. 

You should be ok, the debug tool is only effective every time it's booted up. The Oculus app will boot to default on a restart. Except for in game super sampling settings, super sampling is pretty well redundant since the update. When you select your Quest's resolution in the Oculus PC app it's applying a custom scaling that should be more efficient than ss from the debug tool or the Oculus Tray Tool. I'm getting the best results with just the new settings and in Steam games I try to suppress any changes that Steam VR tries to make.
The only thing I use the Tray Tool for is to turn ASW off. The dev may be including a 'per game' resolution setting in the Tray Tool in a future update, fingers crossed 🙂
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

PITTCANNA
Visionary
Let me know how you make out.

trek554
Adventurer
did you bother to check the game's forums? I think plenty of people with various vr setups are reporting stuttering so its the game. 
WIN 11 | 13700KF | MSI MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI | G.SKILL 64GB 6400MHZ CL32 | GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | SEASONIC FOCUS GX-1000

IOIIOOIO
Explorer
I have an RTX2060 and experience stutter with all settings on lowest. Alyx is the only game I'm having issues with.

I will go through your suggestions now @PITTCANNA and see if it helps.

It's worth noting it seems to run fine except when entering/looking around a new area for the first time.

IOIIOOIO
Explorer
@PITTCANNA

I don't have a Support folder in my "Program Files\Oculus\" directory...

PITTCANNA
Visionary
are you looking in x86 file structure?

PITTCANNA
Visionary
Browse to Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\

IOIIOOIO
Explorer

PITTCANNA said:

Browse to Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\

I just did a repair installation and it's there now.

I have changed my settings to:

Distortion curvature: low
Encode resolution width: 0
Encode Bitrate: 150

SteamVR settings all reset to default. Render Resolution is set to Auto. Alyx in-game settings all set to Lowest.

Still gets choppy when I move around to new positions.

I've updated both the PC and Headset to version 23.

I've checked my device on Oculus Software - it's set to 90Hz.

I did a test of the cable - it's running at 2.5gbs. So I think it might be the cable?

Thanks for your help again.

The performance doesn't change much when I turn graphics up or down - it seems to be the same on medium as it is on low so I'm sure it has something to do with my 3rd party cable. The GPU is probably handling it fine.

PITTCANNA
Visionary
i would bump up your enconde rate to 500, its not the cable your cable can encode up to 2.5 gbs you are only encoding at the current rate of 150mbs.  so i would first up the encode to 500 mbps, then in game menu turn textures down.

also keep in mind 90hz at 2704 X 2736 (steam vr render resolution) is a lot of gpu load.
it may only render 45 ish frames per second. (as the is 4k realm render).

so you could adjust the render scale in steam vr.