cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kicked out oculus link soon as i enable it

KenFly
Honored Guest
A couple of days ago i got a 3.0 Cable C to A I plugged my headset in to my computer and went on to my headset and pressed enable on the pop up and i kicked me back and i tried again and again but it never works and i have tried to fix it for a couple of days but i cant find a fix can, anybody find a fix thanks!

I tried this while my headset was on v14 and the oculus app was on v14. i changed both to v15 but its still broken
14 REPLIES 14

Kentobi
Heroic Explorer
This is going to sound dumb, but it was working fine for me up until today. I had a very similar problem with saying yes to the pop up, but getting kicked back to Quest. I did a hard reboot of both my PC and headset, and it seemed to work ok after that. I also had a toggle for Passthrough OD that disappeard after the reboot. I feel like the half rollout/half rollback of 15 may have caused some issues.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here- My Link has been working great since I got it. Today, i just get kicked out. Oculus app says it needs a USB 3 connection. WTF? It's the same connection its been all along?

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
Have you tried clicking 'no' when you first connect the quest, and then click enable link from the quest dash ?
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

KenFly
Honored Guest

Umpa_PC said:

Have you tried clicking 'no' when you first connect the quest, and then click enable link from the quest dash ?

Yes I have already tried that

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

KenFly said:

Umpa_PC said:

Yes I have already tried that

Will you post your computer hardware (including the mainboard) and you OS version and build number,  Also post a link to the 'exact' cable you bought.
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was having the exact same issue, and like many people, i was having to reboot my PC/restart the Oculus app to get Link to work. I've since discovered how to get Link workig perfectly every time. In spite of the recommendation, do not open the Oculus desktop app first, leave it closed. Enable Link on your headset, and allow the Oculus app to execute by itself. Link will work every time! Hope this helps someone 🙂

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

I was having the exact same issue, and like many people, i was having to reboot my PC/restart the Oculus app to get Link to work. I've since discovered how to get Link workig perfectly every time. In spite of the recommendation, do not open the Oculus desktop app first, leave it closed. Enable Link on your headset, and allow the Oculus app to execute by itself. Link will work every time! Hope this helps someone 🙂

I think a lot of people have bought a 3rd party cable that is not compatible or even fake, and probably have self build or 'some other custom build' computers with poorly performing USB 3 sockets, poor driver support.  That's why they never ever post their full system hardware, or a link to the cable they are actually using.

They always blame Oculus, and very often use the forum simply as a bitching box - nothing more.  I mean look at this thread, OP has only two posts and never came back with any useful info that anyone who genuinely wants to help could use to help diagnose what the problem might be.  I just laugh as them now!

Calmfixup
Heroic Explorer
Had to drop in to comment that the exact same thing is happening to me, after months of working more or less okay. Same symptoms - device registers as being connected to USB 2.0 instead of 3.0. Cable I've been using is this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017COHTJ6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, for what it's worth, @Umpa_PC , you saying you come in here and laugh at folks who need help, specifically with issues that are cropping up for sets of users, not just one-offs, is a dick move. I get that when you're trying to help and people go silent about their specs you get frustrated, but at least your setup is working and you can hop off the forums to play!

There's definitely something fucky going on here, I've tried any number of solutions (driver updates/rollbacks, OS updates/rollbacks, other ports/host controllers, BIOS updates, even other cables) with the same result. Anyone else got any ideas? I'm about to try what @Prodart501 suggested and report back!

Update - good news bad new. Good news: I got it working! Bad news: It was, somehow, my USB 3.0 Oculus-provided extension cable that crapped out : / 
Luckily from my old Rift setup I still had 2 of the CableMatters Active USB 3.0 Extenders, and was able to get it working with one. It still seems more than coincidence that I started having these problems with these other folks, perhaps the data throughput has changed slightly? Or I could've just been incredibly unlucky lol.

ATP-Flo
Expert Protege
I have two ideas.

First:
Oculus does not want you tu use custom cables and now says yours is bad so please buy the official link cable for $$$.

Second:
What happened on my side was, I had a JOTO 3m cable and after every usage I put it back into a bag, always rolling it up so that it fits in there. After only 2-3 months the cable was suddenly (just as it happened on your side) not detected any more and I had to buy a new one. Now it works again.
I was always using the same USB-port and the same 5m cablecreation extension.

Cables do not live forever, especially when you don't take much care. The Quest needs a high-bandwidth cable. And this bandwidth gets lost the less you take care of your cable. Never roll it up.

So maybe you just try a different cable and probably you should also make a bandwidth test. My cable gives a bandwidth of 1.7Gbps which is okay for 8m but it shouldn't be much less.

What's your bandwidth?
And are you sure your cable is still fine?