cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kicked out oculus link soon as i enable it

KenFly
Honored Guest
A couple of days ago i got a 3.0 Cable C to A I plugged my headset in to my computer and went on to my headset and pressed enable on the pop up and i kicked me back and i tried again and again but it never works and i have tried to fix it for a couple of days but i cant find a fix can, anybody find a fix thanks!

I tried this while my headset was on v14 and the oculus app was on v14. i changed both to v15 but its still broken
14 REPLIES 14

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

Calmfixup said:
Also, for what it's worth, @Umpa_PC , you saying you come in here and laugh at folks who need help, specifically with issues that are cropping up for sets of users, not just one-offs, is a dick move. I get that when you're trying to help and people go silent about their specs you get frustrated, but at least your setup is working and you can hop off the forums to play!

Yes my set up is working fine, and I would like everyones system to work fine, but if it did not I would post my system specs and give as much info (more than I have in my sig) to help others help me - I have my sig to help others it's for no other reason I have it.  Thats why I laugh at them - not because I am happy they are having problems, but because they won't help anyone to help.

I'm glad you got yours working, FWIW the only extension I got working (and I think I tried them all) was an active extension too.  I even made a post on how to make a working 7m long extension and I only did that because you can't buy the original for love nor money.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

ATP-Flo said:

I have two ideas.

First:
Oculus does not want you tu use custom cables and now says yours is bad so please buy the official link cable for $$$.

Second:
What happened on my side was, I had a JOTO 3m cable and after every usage I put it back into a bag, always rolling it up so that it fits in there. After only 2-3 months the cable was suddenly (just as it happened on your side) not detected any more and I had to buy a new one. Now it works again.
I was always using the same USB-port and the same 5m cablecreation extension.

Cables do not live forever, especially when you don't take much care. The Quest needs a high-bandwidth cable. And this bandwidth gets lost the less you take care of your cable. Never roll it up.

So maybe you just try a different cable and probably you should also make a bandwidth test. My cable gives a bandwidth of 1.7Gbps which is okay for 8m but it shouldn't be much less.

What's your bandwidth?
And are you sure your cable is still fine?

Well the second part of your post blows away your first !  Oculus have even taken the time to test and recommend a 3rd party cable.  Link is beta, so I am sure they are always tweaking stuff trying to get more out of it, and I am sure that breaks stuff - but c'mon. 
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ever since I got the official Link cable from Oculus when it was first released, I have not had a moments problem using my Quest via Link.
Maybe I am just very lucky. Perhaps using it in my motherboard's front panel USB C-Port helps also as I am sure it is not being shared with any other devices.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

dburne said:

Ever since I got the official Link cable from Oculus when it was first released, I have not had a moments problem using my Quest via Link.
Maybe I am just very lucky. Perhaps using it in my motherboard's front panel USB C-Port helps also as I am sure it is not being shared with any other devices.

If I could have, I would have bought one.  As is I think I am doing rather well - had a couple of glitches but been able to sort them.  I think Oculus have done a good job so far.

ATP-Flo
Expert Protege

Umpa_PC said:

Well the second part of your post blows away your first !  Oculus have even taken the time to test and recommend a 3rd party cable.  Link is beta, so I am sure they are always tweaking stuff trying to get more out of it, and I am sure that breaks stuff - but c'mon. 

It was more like a joke.
What I meant seriously that the cable might have taken damage over time so that its just not stable anymore to support Oculus Link. Thats why I say --> Try a new cable and if possible try it without any extensions.