cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Link Official Cable - Expensive gimmick cable??

FartSimpson
Level 2
A recent post in this forum has got me interested in the difference using the official cable and a 3rd party one. I bought the official one as it was on sale (Argos) @ £49.99 and tested the connection speed, however, someone has mentioned a 3rd party cable giving better bandwidth, so I have tried the following tests using the official cable vs 3rd party (NEWZEROL 3m + 5m extension - £35.99 minus 10% Amazon) cable.

In summary, I am really disappointed by the result that the official cable gives!! Consider it is fibre optic, I would have expected the speed to be higher if not the same as the 3rd party cable, but it actually performed worst.

My setup:
Asrock X570 ITX/TB3 motherboard
Ryzen 3400G
AMD 5700 XT GPU in HP Omen Accelerator eGPU enclosure
32gb 3200mhz DDR

All tests were conducted 3 times:
  • Official cable (Connected to Asmedia 3142 PCIe card with 2 x USB C, no other device connected): 1.8gbps - 2gbps
  • 3rd party (3 meters), USB 3 Gen 1: 2.7gbp (consistent in all 3 tests)
  • 3rd party (3 meters), USB 3 Gen 2: 2.8gbp (consistent in all 3 tests)
The only outstanding tests I have not done is whether the 3rd party cable will maintain the charge to the headset, which I between the official cable will kick in once the headset reaches below 80%.

If there is no problem with the 3rd part cable, I think I would sell the official cable as I see it as an expensive gimmick.

Welcome anyone to disagree with this.

4 REPLIES 4

TetraSky
Level 3
My third party 3 meters cable (Fasgear FG-CC3.1-90) that cost me $25 Canadian rupees, reach between 2.6 and 2.8 Gbps in the test (first two tests were 2.6Gbps and 2.7Gbps respectively, but every subsequent tests were 2.8Gbps. I did 10 tests)

It's plugged on the back of my PC (MSI B450M Gaming Plus motherboard) through Type-C USB 3.2 Gen 1, while the cable itself is rated for USB 3.2 Gen 2 (But really doesn't matter since the Quest doesn't saturated Gen 1 anyway).
Haven't tested it much. But it was able to charge the Quest 2 when using the firefox browser + Moonrider.
I did not try with a proper demanding game yet since I usually play wireless and wouldn't be playing for more than an hour or so anyway.

I have not tried, nor owned, the official link cable. Though it's supposed to be lightweight compared to third party cables as its only saving grace.

Also, to not be confused with USB naming scheme and use the appropriate naming scheme that has changed for some insane reason, but many products haven't updated to reflect the changes :

• USB 3.2 Gen 1: originally known as USB 3.0, and previously renamed to USB 3.1 Gen 1. It’s the original USB 3.0 specification, and it can transfer data at up to 5Gbps.
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2: Previously known as USB 3.1, and then later as USB 3.1 Gen 2. It offers speeds at up to 10Gbps.
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2x2: formally known as USB 3.2, it’s the newest and fastest spec, promising speeds at up to 20Gbps (by using two lanes of 10Gbps at once).

SGMRock
Level 3
I have both the official cable and one I bought a 3rd party 16ft one specifically for Quest Link off Amazon for $36 
Both of them give me 2.8Gbps when connected to my 2080Ti USB C Virtual Link port.  But both of them give me 1.8Gbps when I connect them to a USB C 3.1 Gen 2 port either on my motherboard (ASmedia controller on Asus MB) or from a PCIe expansion card I bought from Sonnet that has 2 USB C 3.1 Gen2 ports (also uses an ASMedia chip)

Honestly I'm not sure why the 2080Ti port gets better speeds than the other 2 ports I described above that are both supposed to be 10Gbps ports just like the 2080Ti port is.

Either way the official link cable performs the same as the 3rd party cable that is 16FT but also the 3rd party cable is a bit stiffer, thicker and heavier cable.  So the $80 official one is more comfortable basically between these 2 cables anyway.

What annoys me with my setup though is when I can finally get my hands on a 3080 or 3090 GPU it won't have that Virtual Link port anymore so I will be stuck with one of these other USB ports that are 1.8Gbps.  

FartSimpson
Level 2

SGMRock said:

I have both the official cable and one I bought a 3rd party 16ft one specifically for Quest Link off Amazon for $36 
Both of them give me 2.8Gbps when connected to my 2080Ti USB C Virtual Link port.  But both of them give me 1.8Gbps when I connect them to a USB C 3.1 Gen 2 port either on my motherboard (ASmedia controller on Asus MB) or from a PCIe expansion card I bought from Sonnet that has 2 USB C 3.1 Gen2 ports (also uses an ASMedia chip)

Honestly I'm not sure why the 2080Ti port gets better speeds than the other 2 ports I described above that are both supposed to be 10Gbps ports just like the 2080Ti port is.

Either way the official link cable performs the same as the 3rd party cable that is 16FT but also the 3rd party cable is a bit stiffer, thicker and heavier cable.  So the $80 official one is more comfortable basically between these 2 cables anyway.

What annoys me with my setup though is when I can finally get my hands on a 3080 or 3090 GPU it won't have that Virtual Link port anymore so I will be stuck with one of these other USB ports that are 1.8Gbps.  

That's interesting to know. As I have an AMD GPU, I do rely on the motherboard USB or the additional Asmedia USB C PCI-e card. Do you have any USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports? As tests have indicated (tested independently by myself and friend), the Gen 1 port can provides a higher throughput.

My 3rd party cable is actually thinner than the official cable as shown in the picture below (Left - Official cable, Right - 3rd party). Consider the official cable here in UK is £79.99, it begs the question whether it's worth buying this cable when 3rd party cables work just as well, or better in my cases.

c1da9yn9uji1.jpeg

Thmoas
Level 8
Official cable:
- 5 meter without extensions
- very flexible
- thin and light
- keeps the headset charged

Those are the key points of getting the official one. If those points are not important or you can get a 3rd party one that fullfills your needs just get the 3rd party one. It is expensive, but all their accessories are, you are free to buy from anywhere you want.