cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for comparisons of chromatic aberration on the quest 2

Coopter
Honored Guest

The quest 2 is my first HMD, and I am not sure if the chromatic aberration I have is comparable with other people's headsets. My IPD is 66 and I use the third setting.

Description of the quantity of chromatic aberration on my headset: On the home screen, looking at the white text in the top left that says “Home” through the furthest left periphery of the lenses, there is a green ghost which extends inwards such that the ghost "e" overlaps around half way though the original "e".

Is this similar to other people's experience?

4 REPLIES 4

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Pretty typical VR newbie observation imho.  Try to avoid moving your eyeballs all over the place and just concentrate on your central views.  Also, work on better head placement and try to avoid excessive light bleed from things like strong overhead lighting and sun lit windows. 

Sooner or later you will work this all out and then just enjoy the immersion.  I think that the Q2 panels are one of the best lcd's out there right now.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Coopter
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

Pretty typical VR newbie observation imho.  Try to avoid moving your eyeballs all over the place and just concentrate on your central views.  Also, work on better head placement and try to avoid excessive light bleed from things like strong overhead lighting and sun lit windows. 

Sooner or later you will work this all out and then just enjoy the immersion.  I think that the Q2 panels are one of the best lcd's out there right now.

Thanks for your response and I take no offence, I am a newbie with VR. I can fully accept the limitations of my headset if I can be informed that it isn't specific to MY headset, that I haven't gotten a worse deal with my lenses than anyone else with the quest 2. 

The thing that makes me suspicious about the chromatic aberration is that changing the setting for it in SideQuest doesn't do anything to affect it. It also means I have to move my head while reading text, which doesn't seem right. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Up to you but I would avoid trying to use any external android graphics adjustment to start off with.  Many of these do not work properly and generally also need to be redone every time you restart your Quest. 

Just try to get used to stock settings to begin with imho.  If you use wireless with Virtual Desktop it has some brightness, gamma, and colour vibrance  settings you can play around with.  I've personally never found then too useful but some have reported improvements using them.  Everyone's eyes and perception is different.

If you think it may be a problem with your headset maybe try another one if you can, or just contact Oculus Support and see if they can assist you and suggest other things for you to try (like maybe using the glasses spacer).

Pretty well all the advice I can give you mate.  Good luck and cheers.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
There is nothing wrong with your headset, it's perfectly normal 🙂 . The lenses in a VR headset distort the light emitted by the screen (=refraction), which results in chromatic aberration in the outer edges of your view. The only thing to do to reduce it is adjust the headset, it helps a little. And as it was said, try not to focus on the outer edges of your view!

Hopefully we get a second generation of VR optics pretty soon, that gets rid of that, godrays, and the binocular effect.