cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimum USB 3 transfer rates to avoid all Quest 2 video compression artifacts?

shane_creamer
Level 3
Hello everyone, I am a recent Quest 2 user and have noticed that when playing Steam VR games using the Oculus Link cable I am seeing what I think are video and compression artifacts (blurriness of text in games, lots of visual artifacts like jaggies, etc.)  I do not see those when I shift to Virtual Desktop using the same Link cable.

My 2018 era Asus Rog Strix Z370-A gaming rig has a maximum USB transfer rate of 2.2 Gbps according to the Oculus 2 USB test.  What is considered the minimum bar of USB 3 transfer rates to prevent the Quest 2 from showing video compression artifacts.  I do not see these artifacts when I hooked up a friends HP Reverb G2 as a comparator, so it appears to be specific to the Quest 2.

If 2.2 Gbps is not sufficient, tell me what is and perhaps I can go purchase a dedicated USB 3.2 controller card instead of using my onboard USB 3.0 connectors.

Kind Regards,
Shane Creamer
5 REPLIES 5

tanubon
Level 7
Max transfer rate of current link is about 300mbps. If you see very blurry image or jaggy, it's problem of render resolusion, encode resolusion or bitrate. Not transfer rate of cable.

clouds5
Level 5

Hello everyone, I am a recent Quest 2 user and have noticed that when playing Steam VR games using the Oculus Link cable I am seeing what I think are video and compression artifacts (blurriness of text in games, lots of visual artifacts like jaggies, etc.)  I do not see those when I shift to Virtual Desktop using the same Link cable.

My 2018 era Asus Rog Strix Z370-A gaming rig has a maximum USB transfer rate of 2.2 Gbps according to the Oculus 2 USB test.  What is considered the minimum bar of USB 3 transfer rates to prevent the Quest 2 from showing video compression artifacts.  I do not see these artifacts when I hooked up a friends HP Reverb G2 as a comparator, so it appears to be specific to the Quest 2.

If 2.2 Gbps is not sufficient, tell me what is and perhaps I can go purchase a dedicated USB 3.2 controller card instead of using my onboard USB 3.0 connectors.

Kind Regards,
Shane Creamer

Have you used the oculus debug tool to increase bitrate? (:\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics)

Increase encode bitrate to ~300mbps and artifacts should mostly go away. It just sucks that this option is buried in some dev tool somewhere in the file structure. They should just put all the options in the Oculus Software and give people who don't want to mess with it an "auto" button.
I5-10600kf@5Ghz, 16GB DDR3600, RTX 2070

shane_creamer
Level 3
Thank you Cloud5.  I will set that to 300Mbps and see what happens.  Is there an upper limit or a maximum that I should consider like 400Mbps or 500Mbps.  

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
500 is the max, but it may give you stuttery performance setting it that high (depending on your GPU). Oculus devs have suggested that you'll get diminishing returns above 250. The default setting is 100, I believe.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

shane_creamer
Level 3
Thanks everyone.  I just set my Quest 2 for 300 Mbps and the difference in clarity and quality is night and day. 

Everything looks artifact free and much, much crisper.  Rift Store, Virtual Desktop, SteamVR, and any of the PCVR games I am playing on Steam.  This makes the Quest 2 begin to approach the clarity and quality I experienced with my HP Reverb G2 before I returned it.

I would nominate setting the Quest 2 for 300 Mbps as a must have for anyone on this support forum.  What a difference!