cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My First VR Laptop for my amazing Oculus Quest 2

Ivoru84
Honored Guest
Hi Folks,

Just joined this amazing community, this is my first post!

I'm willing to buy a "VR ready" laptop, I would like to keep the budget under 2500 euro.

I own an Oculus 2, my first VR, I love it!

My expectations are that I want obviously to be able to play most of the "HEAVY" and "LATEST" VR games available on PC on the different platforms (Half-Life Alyx,  Falcon Age,  Resident Evil, Project Cars and so on) probably i miss many other games..

I will be mainly using link cable (Virtual Desktop is also an option but my wifi can be a problem!)

I'm in Europe so I would like to buy the laptop in EU to avoid custom and import fees.

I've experience in the past assembling desktop, and my fear is to spend lot of money and have incompatibilities issues (CPU,GPU,USBs and so on..)
I won't be playing PC games without VR, this will be exclusively used for the VR, so if I've issues it's going to be a disaster!

I'm finding very hard to understand what to buy, for example I thought to pick what i consider at the top in the market, eg Alienware m17 R4 or similar, but then I found out there may be incompatibilities issues with the GeForce RTX™ 3070/3080 series because of the lack of USB within the graphic card itself, oculus team itself replied to many users that this card may be not yet fully supported.

Also I will start with Oculus2 but i would like to buy something that would allow me to upgrade to a better VR in the future.

Have you guys any laptop to suggest, what can be the best option here? I want to be sure it will 100% works with Oculus 2 and most of the VR on the market.

I've been looking on VR ready laptops from Oculus website, but there are no preset configuration (e.g. falcon northwest), I still need to decide the hardware and I'm really confused about it.

Thanks a lot
Ivano
14 REPLIES 14

PITTCANNA
Visionary
If you get a laptop. https://youtu.be/VNafYqyuj_A

Ivoru84
Honored Guest
Thanks a lot, but for example also this Asus has the GeForce RTX™ 3070/3080 as far I can see...

PITTCANNA
Visionary
30 series while powerful enough for vr, there drivers and oculus integration is still lagging.  I would wait or get a tower pc for vr gaming.

Howie_Doodat
Rising Star
I use a laptop for gaming (VR and not), but if you don’t have a specific reason to get a laptop instead of desktop I would hiiighly recommend a desktop. I desperately wish I had, because my laptop with an RTX 2060 cost about twice as much as I could make a desktop with a 3080, and at least in the states, we aren’t going anywhere outside the house any time soon. 

PITTCANNA
Visionary
Also just because a laptop says an rtx 3080, its really clocked as low as 2060 territory.  Its really a scam when it comes to laptops 30 series on a laptop are going to be under volted and tailored for efficiency.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9fk9d6pry4&t=393s

Ivoru84
Honored Guest
Hey Folks, yeah, I would prefer a Desktop too, but it's not an option unfortunately, there is no place to play VR in any of the room where i can put a Desktop, and my wifi is not strong enough to play through Virtual Desktop.. A laptop would give me the ability of bringing in any room where I have enough space to play VR

At the moment i was considering this two models:
 - alienware-m17-r4-laptop
 - rog-zephyrus-duo-15-series

probably the version with the I7 and not the one with I9, any experience with these models?

ohgrant
Superstar
 Your wifi could easily be upgraded with the money you saved from the lap top. All you need is a good 5g router. Honestly I would listen to them. he best laptop you can find is probably not going to give you the experience you would hope for, especially with link.
 I wouldn't choose a lappy for that until you've read several reports of folks having no issues with link on it.    
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

ohgrant said:

Your wifi could easily be upgraded with the money you saved from the lap top. All you need is a good 5g router. Honestly I would listen to them. he best laptop you can find is probably not going to give you the experience you would hope for, especially with link.
 I wouldn't choose a lappy for that until you've read several reports of folks having no issues with link on it.    

I agree with this. For less than $100, I bought a WiFi6 router (TP-Link AX1500) and set it up as an access point to my ISP-provided modem (Ethernet to the modem, and Ethernet to my PC), and now I can connect to my PC with Virtual Desktop at high bandwidth 5 GHz from anywhere in my house. 

Of course, building or upgrading a PC has its own problems right now, due to scarcity of GPUs. I’ve been trying to get an RTX 3080 since September, but it seems like I’ll have to stick with my almost-5-year-old GTX 1080 for a while longer. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Giulio2021
Honored Guest
Hello all. Do you think it will be possible to play with the Quest 2 with virtual desktop by a remote access to your powerfull tower settled elsewhere? I try to explain better 1) I use my strong tower desktop for editing in remote access with a normal laptop far from the tower ( only if I have a very very good connection of course I can do it)  2) I connect my quest 2 to virtual desktop of my old laptop BUT IT is connected to the windows in remote access of my tower elsewhere 3) So, my quest 2 can take all the powerfull of my tower physically far from it???????  Thanks