cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Link will not work with RTX 2060 due to Integrated card existing.

CBGames
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I'm not coming on here demanding a solution as I know one does not exist.
My issue with oculus link, and a laptop that uses GPU switching. I have a laptop that has an RTX 2060 graphics card for gaming (Supported), and a second basic GPU to reduce power (AMD Vega 12 mobile). This cannot be changed in the BIOS, however the laptop switches to the fancy RTX card for games.
Just to confirm I have a gaming PC which it works just fine, so therefore I know it is not a cable issue.

Now to the issue- when I open oculus home, the quest is connected with a green tick. All good. I enable the link in the headset, and allow the permissions, and then black screen with three dots.  Doesn't load.
After some research, I've realised that when I disable the integrated card in the device manager, restart the oculus app, it works. However- for some reason this confuses my PC's system.
The games that work after this disabling of the AMD card are Oculus home and Steam VR home. However actual games run at 3 FPS. I can only assume that they are running from the bad AMD card rather than my high power graphics card.
This is an issue with oculus not recognising my Nvidia card by default and prioritising the AMD card. All the issues would go if it would recognise the right card. 

TLDR; Oculus app prioritizes bad integrated GPU rather than Gaming graphics card (Nvidia).There are work arounds, but they revolve around all games that aren't VR homes running at 3 FPS due to some bizzare problem. Please fix! ❤️

My specs are-
Nvidia RTX 2060 GPU, 16 GB RAM, AMD Vega 10 series integrated GPU
4 REPLIES 4

ChaotixOP
Explorer
I have  a TUF laptop that has the same exact specs and when trying to boot up the quest it just shows the loading screen and then an error message appears after a bit 

enigma01
Trustee
I have a laptop with and RTX 2080 and an integrated Intel UHD Graphics 630 GPU. Oculus software always prioritises my Nvidia GPU, so looks like this issue may be where systems have AMD CPUs with integrated GPU? The GPU switching seems to work fine on my laptop.

robertvandenber
Honored Guest
Exactly the same problem. I have an HP with AMD RX VEGA and an NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti card. Already found a solution for this? Thanks

ChaotixOP
Explorer
Here is the solution for computers that have 2 graphics cards follow each step
  1. Open up the NVIDIA Control Panel, go to Manage 3D settings, then to Program Settings.

2. Make sure that overclient.exe and overserver_x64.exe use High performance NVIDIA and not Use global settings (High performance NVIDIA). It took me a while to understand this is actually not considered as the same thing.

3. Disable AMD Radeon(TM) RX Vega 10 Graphics in the Windows's Device Manager.

4. Run Oculus Software and activate Oculus Link on your Quest.

5. Once your done, you can enable AMD Radeon(TM) RX Vega 10 Graphics again and everything should work fine - at least for now.

Repeat steps 3, 4 and 5 after you restart your computer.