cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest 2 ALVR help

SKD007
Honored Guest
I bought Quest 2 so I can play my PC games wirelessly.

For now, I am using my mac book pro charging cable to play as it is login enough for my racing games. 

This is the link I used to try and setup ALVR: howtogeek.com/673724/how-to-play-steam-vr-games-wirelessly-on-your-oculus-quest/ 

I had to do one step differently from the link as SideQuest  kept failing to install "ALVRClient-GithubNormalOvr-release-v2.4.0-alpha5 apk" 
I ran PowerShell command adb instal - g to install the apk file.

adb saw the headset and it said success when I tried to install. I also bought the 19$ virtual desktop and it works with no issue. Even the ALVR server runs and starts looking for the client. But I cant find the client on my headset. 

I need help. I cant find much help as everyone is talking about older Quest which has similar menu as the old Oculus Go menu and I am not sure what to do.. I am a HP reverb user and I am only looking at this cheap headset for wireless connectivity..  Please help 
5 REPLIES 5

MerlinStWahgwaa
Expert Protege
I suggest Virtual Desktop Quest version instead.

Works 10x better than ALVR for wireless gaming, well worth the $20.

Then use sidequest to patch Virtual Desktop, and you'll have full wireless SteamVR gaming

Beautiful guide is here:

https://medium.com/@darkuni/quest-newbie-the-ultimate-beginners-guide-to-virtual-desktop-9796427cdd0...

lukrielle
Protege
you probably don't have activated the developer mode in the quest2 if you don't see unknown source in you app choice.

SKD007
Honored Guest

I suggest Virtual Desktop Quest version instead.

Works 10x better than ALVR for wireless gaming, well worth the $20.

Then use sidequest to patch Virtual Desktop, and you'll have full wireless SteamVR gaming

Beautiful guide is here:

Thank you. Yes I got the quest version Virtual Desktop for 20$. Yes its working now. The problem was sidequest not patching the file correctly. I took the patch from the folder a and used PowerShell to copy it to correct location and it worked. 🙂 

.\adb -s (device number)  push patch.1.VirtualDesktop.Android.obb /sdcard/Android/obb/VirtualDesktop.Android/patch.1.VirtualDesktop.Android.obb

and then again I reinstalled the apk using powershell

.\adb install -g ALVRClient-GithubNormalOvr-release-v2.4.0-alpha5.apk 

All good now. was playing yesterday.  I get around 54mb so I have no issues.. 

lukrielle said:

you probably don't have activated the developer mode in the quest2 if you don't see unknown source in you app choice.

I already activated developer account that was there in the link I posted.  Problem was sidequest did not work correctly. But I used the patch file from sidequest folder and manually copied it to the headset and it worked.. 🙂 

Thanks again guys.. very helpful. 

SKD007
Honored Guest
Update... I am able to play all the games on the headset wirelessly except for some that says HDMI disconnected.. And also I am unable to find the ALVR app Apk I installed. without that I cant connect ALVR desktop app "ALVR-portable-v2.4.0-alpha5" and I have no idea what that even do.. 

XOIDF
Honored Guest
Find ALVR under unknown apps in your quest 2.

My settings which seems to stream pretty smooth, attached.
3ca6iv24s00v.png35v7axqx1n1d.png