cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest 2 Disables PowerBanks from charging the headset while playing.

dingofoxvrfox
Protege
What the hell guys literally my powerbank that i have used for my oculus quest 1 no issues what so ever i cant use with the quest 2 because your quest 2 disables charging from my powerbank really im not going to apend 150.00 for a headset strap with your rigged battery inside it thats unfair and product rigging to your customers boooo you need to fix this garbage
22 REPLIES 22

Javelin396
Adventurer
im still on version 21, and my power bank still charges the headset. my battery percentage always  drops  below 100% but stays at 77% while the headset is connected to the battery. this is the one i use https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powercore-10000-pd/A1235011

Wardogc81
Protege
AHHH YEA, i also noticed that it doesnt charge if the quest 2 is fully charged not sure if below 80 or 70% it started to accept charge from the power bank. but after that it charges until is fully charged and then the power bank stop sending charge, but i guess it deppend on the power bank this one shut down it self when the quest 2 is fully charged.

but yea it definetly works i played more than 2 hours and the power bank was 50% and the quest 2 was 80%

Fangzhou
Adventurer
This is a bug for Quest 2, the battery is always drops to 77% then it will start get power from external powerbank. Quest1 never get same problem. If using Oculus Link, then Quest 2 will never get power from the cable and battery will drain in around 2 hours. Quest 1 will use power from USB cable and battery will be around 99% for few hours. 
Not sure this is a software issue or a hardware problem, and also not sure whether this is fixed by v23, since Oculus never push the updates to my devices. 

xsrvaderx
Explorer

Jorgec81 said:

AHHH YEA, i also noticed that it doesnt charge if the quest 2 is fully charged not sure if below 80 or 70% it started to accept charge from the power bank. but after that it charges until is fully charged and then the power bank stop sending charge, but i guess it deppend on the power bank this one shut down it self when the quest 2 is fully charged.

but yea it definetly works i played more than 2 hours and the power bank was 50% and the quest 2 was 80%

@Jorgec81 Hi, did you test this with the new firmware update v23 or are you still on v21?

Wardogc81
Protege
im on the new update V23 and is still working the same, try leaving your quest to disgarge up to 50 or 40 percent and try your power bank again, i just confirmed that if the quest 2 charge level is above 80% it doesnt allow the charge unless it is in standby or powered off.

xsrvaderx
Explorer

Jorgec81 said:

im on the new update V23 and is still working the same, try leaving your quest to disgarge up to 50 or 40 percent and try your power bank again, i just confirmed that if the quest 2 charge level is above 80% it doesnt allow the charge unless it is in standby or powered off.

Thanks man, I did a little test myself yesterday and can confirm the same. (I'm still on v21 though, but from your experience with v23, I'm pretty sure nothing has changed).

From my experience:
I drained the internal battery, while playing some games, to 60%. Then activated the powerbank, still playing of course, and it started charging the internal battery of the Quest 2.
It will keep charging the internal battery to approximately 78%, then it will stay at this battery level.
At this point your Quest 2 will not tell you anymore it is charging, because now it's draining power from the powerbank while keeping your internal battery at max level (around 78%).

For me this works perfectly at the moment. 

bfair31
Honored Guest
Anyone have an definitive answer on this?  This is still a problem for me and I don't see anything official from Oculus about it.  I'm using a power bank that used to do what's described here (charge to about 78% and then hold steady) while playing.  Now if I get the battery to about 60% and plug in the battery pack, it says "charging" for maybe 20 seconds and then doesn't charge anymore.  Also, the lights on my power bank don't behave as they do when actually charging a device.  It's like the Quest 2 is blocking the power bank from charging somehow.

vlas
Honored Guest
Hmmmm. If I recall correctly, lithium ion batteries have a higher chance of degrading the higher the charge. (Something about more heat being generated at higher charges and some type of crystallisation).

I think that's why some phones with fast charge slow the rate of charge the higher the charge (normally somewhere above 70%).

Perhaps this is designed into the unit to prolong battery life? It would explain why the problem doesn't occur in the elite strap with battery as the unit may be able to identify the accessory and use it appropriately.

lange20
Honored Guest
I have a similar issue. I have an Anker PowerBank (26800PD) with 5V-3A Output via USB-C and charges my Quest 2 while playing faster than it's loosing power. However, as soon as I start casting to the chromecast, the charging stops a few seconds after. Tried to see if there was any options regarding charging and casting but to no avail.

Tantrumus
Explorer
Maybe they did this to avoid being sued when a big battery explodes on your head... LOL  it's the first concern I had when thinking about buying one of these packs.