cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest not detecting computer

cowie360
Explorer
Hello all,

I'm having difficulty setting up Oculus link with my laptop. The software appears to recognize the Quest and touch and attempts to connect but the quest its self does not connect back. During Link setup the Oculus PC software gives the green check for the cable (Goggle pixel type A to C), I then put on my quest and enable link on the prompt, dark screen, back to homescreen. The PC software appears to have an error, see attached image.

Any ideas/solutions?
13 REPLIES 13

vargablood
Expert Protege
You need to disable the beta switch on your oculus pc client under settings. You need the stable branch to use link, acutally the PC CLient beta does not support link and then quest just returns to its native home after a short black screen.

teaston
Protege
This has been answered on a few threads already, disable PTC in Oculus PC app options, then it will start downloading and installing the old version, once completed it will now work. 

cowie360
Explorer
Thank you guys for your quick response but I have never had PTC enabled. But to ensure I'm on the stable branch I reinstalled and with out setting up any device I still have the "Oculus has encountered an error. Please restart your computer or contact Oculus Support". So it seems to me like an issue with the Oculus PC software not liking my laptop.

banderas
Honored Guest

cowie360 said:

Hello all,

I'm having difficulty setting up Oculus link with my laptop. The software appears to recognize the Quest and touch and attempts to connect but the quest its self does not connect back. During Link setup the Oculus PC software gives the green check for the cable (Goggle pixel type A to C), I then put on my quest and enable link on the prompt, dark screen, back to homescreen. The PC software appears to have an error, see attached image.

Any ideas/solutions?

I have the same problem on my laptop. I try to use shadow cloud with quest and I see Quest in my device list but Oculus software doesn't recognize my Quest. I assume it may be related to a graphic card that is not supported... Any other ideas guys?

cowie360
Explorer

banderas said:

I have the same problem on my laptop. I try to use shadow cloud with quest and I see Quest in my device list but Oculus software doesn't recognize my Quest. I assume it may be related to a graphic card that is not supported... Any other ideas guys?

I don't believe we are having the same issue. I am not using or familiar with shadow or any other cloud computing services.

Please correct me if I am getting anything wrong here but you have your Quest plugged into a laptop which is receiving the cloud PC stream. I don't believe this will work unless there is a way to send the full USB 3 connection to the could computer. It is likely for any normal input (Keyboard / Game-pad) it is compressing this and uncompromising at the cloud PC. I maybe wrong but this is likely why Oculus Link/Rift does not work with cloud computing.

teaston
Protege

cowie360 said:

banderas said:

I don't believe we are having the same issue. I am not using or familiar with shadow or any other cloud computing services.

Please correct me if I am getting anything wrong here but you have your Quest plugged into a laptop which is receiving the cloud PC stream. I don't believe this will work unless there is a way to send the full USB 3 connection to the could computer. It is likely for any normal input (Keyboard / Game-pad) it is compressing this and uncompromising at the cloud PC. I maybe wrong but this is likely why Oculus Link/Rift does not work with cloud computing.

Yes, I can’t imagine that Oculus will ever work with a cloud based PC service!

cowie360
Explorer
Banderas, you may have some luck using virtual desktop. Install the server on your cloud PC and stream it directly to the quest.

I'd like to take this back onto the topic of a local machine having issues. I have tried this morning adding my hardware to the configuration.json file whitelists and removing anything from the black list and I still receive the error. Are there any more suggestions or am I chasing a lost cause.

gregor616
Adventurer
I have the same issue on my MSI Laptop with Nvidia 1050. Support says it is because it is a not supported video card but there are several posts that the 1050 runs fine. Same exact issue and same messagge. Link works fine on my desktop using the same cable.
Oculus Quest 
AMD Ryzen 7 2700, GeForce RTX 2060 Super, 32GB, Asus B450 Motherboard

fish1972
Honored Guest
I have the same error message and the same laptop, MSI i5 with GTX 1050, must just not be compatible as it's well below the minimum.