cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus app opens and closes in an endless cycle when I plug my quest into my computer

Will_Oz
Honored Guest
Purchased the usb c to usb A 3.0 Anker cord suggested by Oculus last week and I've been trying to connect my Oculus Quest to my pc ever since.
the steps I took were as follows,
1. install oculus app on my pc
2. switching on the public test channel option in the settings of the oculus app
3. downloading and installing the update from the beta onto the oculus app
4. connecting my quest to my pc and setting it up with the oculus app
5. checking for updates on my Quest

at this point is where i begin to experience trouble. Whenever I plug in my quest to my pc the oculus app on my pc will open display the home screen an error pops up in red (see below) and it will crash then boot itself back up again in an endless cycle. The error message reads "Oculus isn't compatible with this system's hardware." Although my system should be compatible given the compatiblity guide left by oculus.

I then attempted to start steam vr thinking it may just be a false error message since this is all still in beta but then got an error message in steam vr saying
"Steam VR Error There is a problem with the Oculus runtime installation. Please reboot and verify the Oculus software is installed and updated. (1114)"

after this I uninstalled the Oculus app and deleted all folders regarding to oculus thinking it may have been a bad install or something
I went back to the oculus site downloaded the software for rift S since there is no software for quest yet and that was the instructions I was following from the turtorial I was watching. And reinstalled the Oculus app program again following all the steps above.

Anyone know what this is or have experienced anything similar. I'm regretting not getting the Rift s at this point.

2dcakc85s23n.png

7 REPLIES 7

Kung-Foo-Kamel
Protege
At this point, you will need to make sure you have the Public Test Channel turned on, Oculus Quest should be on v12 or upwards firmware, and the PC software is currently on 12.1.

Your system specs are perfectly fine, I think its either as stated above, or your cable/USB 3 port is not up to the task, but to be honest, if the cable or port is not right, Link usually works but then cuts out when you try to play.

Also forget SteamVR at this point, you must make it work in the Oculus Rift software first, once you can play Rift titles, Steam will just work, so no point asking here about Steam as your problem is either the Oculus software versions, or the cable/usb port being used.

If you dont know how to turn on the PTC, please google this -> oculus software enable PTC

I'm sorry but I would have posted the link straight to Oculus support, but this stupid forum wont let post a dam Link

Will_Oz
Honored Guest
thats okay my ptc is on that was the third step I took , Im going to see if I have to update my usb 3.0 ports or possibly check the connection to my motherboard in case I placed them into usb 2.0 slots when i was building my pc. Ill post back if anything happens

Son1cBlue
Explorer
well my quest was working fine until i decided to do a full windows re install to freshen it up a bit and re installed everything back vr wise and now im getting the endless loop last night it was fine wtf oculus?

Eastcoast78
Protege
I have the anker 3m cable also and hada slew of issues toight and trying work arounds...no dice. My comments are on the link thread. So im nto sure if its the cable or not...im starting to lean towards the cable is not up to the task..even though people have said it works...

I did get something going tonight, i gave it one last go after spending 3-4 ours running threw everything, including updating my card dirvers. Turning on the PTC etc. SO i took a little break and gave it another go, i ran xplane via my room in steam vr, it loaded the game fine, when looking at my monitor i could see myself sitting in the hanger at lobby of xplane as normal.. but in my quest i could see the floating winder with xplane and on the bottom is said quiting..but it never would quit.

Also  you have any idea what is that home area where its all grey and white room and your control panel is simi wrapped around the front of your view point? ive managed to get in this room a couple times and not sure whats the purpose of it??

I ordered the cable from oculus other night, hopefully it works!!

FeroxD
Protege
The same issue, how to fix that restarting with Quest? My software opens, cloose and all time when i connect Quest to my PC.

FeroxD
Protege
FIXED
You should update drivers (for 3.0 usb), update, oculus software, windows and oculus quest.

hesten_unam
Protege

FeroxD said:

FIXED
You should update drivers (for 3.0 usb), update, oculus software, windows and oculus quest.

THANKS OMG!