cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus link: USB C 3.1, 3.1 gen 2 or 3.2?

Superlevure
Protege

I have an Asus Z170 pro Gaming and only noticed today that there's a USB C port at the back. 

I have no idea whether this is adequate for the Oculus Link and Oculus Quest 2. 

I did some research and can't find anything specific. Can someone enlighten me? 
5 REPLIES 5

PITTCANNA
Visionary
usb 3.1 is sufficent.  the current link cable is limited to 5gbs which is gen 1 speeds.  In reality max transmission speed is 500 mbps slightly above usb 2.0 speed

Superlevure
Protege
I continued my research and found out that usb 3.1 was renamed 3.2. What a mess. 
On my motherboard specs, it says my usb 3.1 / usb C allows 10gb/s
https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/ ;

Superlevure
Protege

PITTCANNA said:

usb 3.1 is sufficent.  the current link cable is limited to 5gbs which is gen 1 speeds.  In reality max transmission speed is 500 mbps slightly above usb 2.0 speed

That's very useful, thanks.
I wonder if the 10gb/s won't be needed when the Oculus Link is updated with better streaming quality? 

PITTCANNA
Visionary

PITTCANNA said:

That's very useful, thanks.
I wonder if the 10gb/s won't be needed when the Oculus Link is updated with better streaming quality? 

The thing is with rift being phased out and the focus put on quest 2, and link coming out of beta, theres still a lot there could be done in regards to the streaming capability.  

There is an "air-link" in development so that might change the whole dynamic of it.

but for reference 4k 60fps is approx bandwidth required is 50 to 100 mbps.  

Superlevure
Protege
So the 10gb/s might come in handy. I just hope my pc can actually handle it - it can, according to the motherboard specs, but it's old!