cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus link

RonEyal
Protege
I have now the oculus rift cv1 and I want to upgrade to the oculus quest because of the new link feature, my question is which cable should I use for it because I don’t have usb type c in my pc but I do have usb 3 so can I use a usb type c to usb 3 or I can’t use it at all and I don’t want the rift s because I love OLED screen
46 REPLIES 46

DalleLama
Honored Guest
The only cable I could get without ordering from another country was a Anker powerline+ Usb C - Usb A 3.0 6 ft. An extension cable and it's good ?

RonEyal
Protege
What was your experience with coulis link from 1 to 10 and why

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can confirm the 10ft Anker cable works with an 8 inch 90 degree extension cable. I looped the extension down then up again to mount to the left arm of my DAS headstrap, then I just connect either a smaller usb-c to usb-c cable to plug into my battery pack at the rear of the headstrap, or a longer cable for Link. If anything, it takes the strain off of the Quest's usb port.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B071FJ96XB

TwrchTrwydd
Adventurer

enigma01 said:

UdoG said:

With Oculus Link - will the Quest run on the internal battery or will the Quest receive the necessary power from the PC / USB cable?

The Oculus Link cable has 3a power, which is the same as the Oculus power adapter. So should be able to power the Quest headset. 

My Anker USB 3.0 cable also appears to be powering my Quest fine. The internal battery doesn't appear to be depleting. Just been playing for a couple of hours and battery is at 100% when I unplug the cable.  

This is not an issue of the cable but the USB-Port used and whether this port can supply the 3A the cable supports. If not (as in my case) the battery depletes faster than the PC can charge it......

EDIT:
I just checked with a PC App monitoring the power-output of the USB-ports:
On all my Notebook (ASUS ROG STRIX 531 GU) USB-3.1 ports,  3x USB-A, 1x USB- it reports for the Quest a powerdelivery of 896 mA.
So no matter what the cable can take this is far too low to keep the Quest fully powered during Link-sessions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

enigma01 said:

UdoG said:

With Oculus Link - will the Quest run on the internal battery or will the Quest receive the necessary power from the PC / USB cable?

The Oculus Link cable has 3a power, which is the same as the Oculus power adapter. So should be able to power the Quest headset. 

My Anker USB 3.0 cable also appears to be powering my Quest fine. The internal battery doesn't appear to be depleting. Just been playing for a couple of hours and battery is at 100% when I unplug the cable.  

I missed this earlier...you're saying your motherboard's USB 3.0 ports are powering the Quest enough that the battery isn't depleting while using Link? What witchcraft is this? I must be doing something wrong. 😛

With the recommended 10' Anker cable connected to any of my motherboard's USB 3.0's, I drop 25% in an hour. So, roughly ~4hrs worth of gaming. I then connected to my Vive Link box, and it dropped 5% in 30 minutes....~10hrs worth of gaming. Both times the game was Space Pirate Trainer. The Link Box requires a 12v 1.5a DC adapter, but I DIY'd a SATA power cable, wiring the 12v and Grnd to a 2.5mm DC power jack, mounted to a pci slot backplate. The SATA cable's supposedly got 4.5a dedicated to it, and the Link Box is the only thing on the cable. I don't know if it's feeding the full 4.5a, but it's definitely making a difference.

https://www.amazon.com/HTC-Vive-Link-Box-pc/dp/B01LXR6DKV
https://www.amazon.ca/HTC-Virtual-Reality-System-PC-Linux/dp/B01LXR6DKV

I've managed to set up everything, I have my Quest running on my RX580 and as soon as I run Oculus Home or Steam VR Home my CPU (an i9-9900k) spikes up to 95° C; it doesn't happen in any other situation except when stress-testing with Prime95.
Anyone else getting their CPUs melted by Oculus Link?

enigma01
Trustee

as soon as I run Oculus Home or Steam VR Home my CPU (an i9-9900k) spikes up to 95° C.

Wow, I’m running Link on a laptop with i7 9750 and RTX 2080 Max Q. My CPU only gets to high 80s - low 90s when under load, I’ve been playing Stormland a lot, with all graphics settings on max, and CPU goes to around 80c Max. 

Just on Oculus home the CPU gets to around 52c. 

Actually really surprised at how good the cooling performance is on this laptop as it’s so thin.