cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official link cable drain battery.

PierpaoloOb
Explorer
Hi guys I'm having an issue with the quest 2 connected with the original oculus link through USB C port. Basically it was still draining battery and after around 3 hours was at 15%.
Do you know if it's normal?
Thank you!
105 REPLIES 105

PITTCANNA
Visionary
some usb ports don't have the power capacity to offset the power required to run the link.

Its a norm on some motherboard designs.

PITTCANNA
Visionary
what you can do is remove extraneous devices from usb ports, to eliminate power draw.

PierpaoloOb
Explorer
Oh okay thanks  I'll try that.. And How can I check if that works ? 

PITTCANNA
Visionary
just track your battery usage ie play times and % of battery.

PierpaoloOb
Explorer
I was thinking to an app    😄 I'll do that than ! thanks a lot !

lukrielle
Protege
Just made some test with link cable and another, on the usb-c 3.2 port of my pc.

while it's plugged with official link cable on the pc it say charging but still lose battery % while the headset screen is on. But gain battery % while headset screen is off.
done the same test with another cable usb 3.0, same result. (but not saying charing on the headset)

then i plugged the cable and the AC adaptor given with the Q2  on the wall, and got same result. Still losing battery % while the headset screen is on.

then i done the same test with my Q1, and while the link cable is plug the Q1 gain battery % while the headset screen in on.

I think the problem lie in the Q2.

MarkT25810
Expert Protege

lukrielle said:

Just made some test with link cable and another, on the usb-c 3.2 port of my pc.

while it's plugged with official link cable on the pc it say charging but still lose battery % while the headset screen is on. But gain battery % while headset screen is off.
done the same test with another cable usb 3.0, same result. (but not saying charing on the headset)

then i plugged the cable and the AC adaptor given with the Q2  on the wall, and got same result. Still losing battery % while the headset screen is on.

then i done the same test with my Q1, and while the link cable is plug the Q1 gain battery % while the headset screen in on.

seems many people are having all sorts of issues with these headsets...it seems to be a case where the saying...you get what you pay for comes into play lol

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer

lukrielle said:

seems many people are having all sorts of issues with these headsets...it seems to be a case where the saying...you get what you pay for comes into play lol

This has nothing to do with the headset USB C port the specs must be 5V/3A this will charge the headset while in use when using with the Oculus Link Official cable the headset charges while playing. I had three other USB 3.1 Gen 1 to USB C the link function worked but they didn't charge while using the link function. 

MerlinStWahgwaa
Expert Protege
Also having a charing issues with the official link cable, as well as ANY cable using ANY usb port.

And I KNOW my usb c port is full 5v 3A, I also checked the output on the usb port while using the headset, using USBDview, and it was outputting 5v3A.
Thats my USB-C on my Alienware Area 51m gaming laptop.

As for additional USB ports, I have a self powered USB hub, 60 watts, and with NOTHING plugged into it but the headset with a USB 3.1 A to C 8ft cable. That also allowed the headset to drain while using Virtual Desktop Wireless, no game even running.

As well as, all 3 of the standard USB ports on my laptop directly, allowed the headset to drain, not using link and using link.

It appears the Q2 is not capable of charing properly under usage...