cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2: Connecting without a USB-C port?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello. I'm considering acquiring an Oculus Quest 2, but one thing has come up in my research; that to get the most our of PC VR games and experiences, I would need to connect the Quest 2 headset to my PC using the included cable. Problem is, I don't have any USB Type C ports on my desktop.

This means I need either some kind of USB-C to USB-A adapter or a cable that has similar specs to the included one that has a Type C connector on one end and a Type A connector on the other. I'd prefer a longer, active cable as I plan on setting up some kind of system that will suspend the cable while giving me room to move avoid stepping on it. Can anyone give me a suggestion?

Thank you for your time.

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Think about dumping the hanging cable. Get a good dedicated wifi6 router and go wireless with Airlink or Virtual Desktop. Since the quality on cable is better, use the cable when convenient for sit down sim games but for room scale VR, wireless is the best way to go.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had missed Air Link as an option. It's something to consider, but I do have a couple sit-sown simulations and stationary experiences, so I'm still interested in a cable setup for those.

Is Air Link as simple as it seems, just connect a secondary Wi-Fi router to my existing cable network and connect the Quest 2 headset to the new Wi-Fi network, and the rest is handled from the Quest 2's system settings?

That said, I am still interested in a cable setup for seated/stationary games and software.

Spyder17
Expert Protege

I have the USB cable from Oculus and have a USB adapter on it to connect to my PC.  Works fine. I do have a pretty good PC (Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900KF @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
Installed RAM 64.0 GB and a RTX3090GPU).  I was using Virtual Desktop mostly until recently when AirLink seem to start working better.  All you need for AirLink is a compatible PC connected directly to your router and good WIFI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is pretty simple but I think it could be more simple. You have to enable Airlink in the HMD and Oculus software and disable both when you want to switch to back to the cable. So it's kind of a pain but, whatever.

Don't waste your money on the Oculus brand cable. I purchased an off brand one on Amazon for about $20. Works fine. Just make sure it has the 90 degree plug in for the headset. My cable is a 10 footer since my PC is right next to me when I sit down and game. I think more problems surface when you start going longer with the cable. The cable takes some abuse especially if your adjusting the HMD. I broke my first cable because it was mounted tight to the side of the HMD and I was tilting the side straps when I put the unit on. It ended up damaging the connector. Luckily I didn't damage the receptacle. Treat the USB receptacle like a new born baby because if that gets damaged, the unit is done.

I'm using a cheap TP-Link AC1200 Gigabit WiFi Router (Archer A6) that I purchased in December. It works fairly well if there isn't any local interference. I want to try moving it to the basement where signals are suppressed. Most of the time it works better in the later hours of the night.

Also, grab WIFI Analyzer from MS store. (free) I then use a simple wifi 5ghz plug in key to check my local signals and channel usage. Then I adjust from there. You'll have to experiment.

(I say this a lot, like a broken record, because it's so worth it) Also, once you get up and running, adjust your FOV multiplier in Oculus debug tools. Set the horizontal and vertical to .75. You'll gain 20% performance headroom when you PC VR. Only works with Link/Airlink.

Let us know how it goes.

Wait. So is the idea that I’m reducing my FOV to 75% for a big performance gain? I’d have to assess if this is worth it, but I’m skeptical that I wouldn’t miss the 25% of the field I’m removing. I’m intrigued though. 

(This part isn’t relevant to my “replying” to Nyetevision)

adapters (USBC female to…whatever you have) work, but you’ll ALWAYS be limited to the weakest link. It’s like having a 3 lane highway go down to one lane, you’ll always bottleneck at the one lane. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the beauty of it. Even reduced to 75% you still can't see the edge of the viewport. It's way over scanned. You can see it if you push the headset down or up and look way up into the lens but wearing the HMD normally you won't be able to tell the difference. You could go more, but then the immersion will suffer. I do this religiously when I PCVR with link or airlink.

Try .72 horizontal and .75 vertical. That's about my limit before I notice anything.

I’ll try it out for sure. Thanks for the tip.