cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 IPD Setting

enigma01
Trustee
On my Quest I have to set the IPD adjustment to the widest to get achieve the clearest picture. There is 4mm difference between the max IPD width on the Quest 2 and Quest. Will I see a difference?
45 REPLIES 45

ItchyNutz
Explorer
my IPD is 65.5 (exactly between positions 2 & 3). i find position 2 to be usable but it's definitely not quite as comfortable as original Quest. after playing for a bit, my eyes seem to adjust. i think if Oculus adds a software adjustment, this will probably make it perfectly comfortable. i have a feeling the lenses would be forgiving enough for this. i tried position 3 also but that was less comfortable for me. after taking the Quest 2 off, my eyes need to adjust a little to get back to normal. i haven't had a chance to play for more than maybe 45 minutes at a time though so ymmv.

Ozzelot1
Explorer
my IPD is 72.5 and today was hard for me focus things further away then 4 meters ;D i think i should go to a doctor now 😄 played about 2 hours yesterday

jjamesdias
Honored Guest

ItchyNutz said:

my IPD is 65.5 (exactly between positions 2 & 3). i find position 2 to be usable but it's definitely not quite as comfortable as original Quest. after playing for a bit, my eyes seem to adjust. i think if Oculus adds a software adjustment, this will probably make it perfectly comfortable. i have a feeling the lenses would be forgiving enough for this. i tried position 3 also but that was less comfortable for me. after taking the Quest 2 off, my eyes need to adjust a little to get back to normal. i haven't had a chance to play for more than maybe 45 minutes at a time though so ymmv.

Yea, I stuck there as well with the same IPD. the strap is super inconsistant because it moves up and down and the God rays are horrible in the home environment. not noticeable in games. But the clarity, we really need that software IPD to really seal the deal. I waited this long for VR to be affordable and so I reallly dont want this to be ruined.

HedgeFund
Honored Guest

I've had similar concern. My IPD is 73mm. The Quest 1 barely accommodated me. Learning that the Quest 2 has even shorter distances has me a little anxious. 

I think you'll be fine with the highest option on the Quest 2

for sure!

you won't. I have 71 IPD and it is blurry

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee

enigma01 said:

So I received my Quest yesterday and have spent a good few hours testing it with some different games. I was initially disappointed with the FOV, as on max setting 3 I could see black vertical lines when I was looking around menus during setup. Then I remembered I should probably have left the headset to fully charge before use, so I did that and kept and open mind.

Once charged I tried several games, Beat Saber, Pistol Whip, Robo Recall Unplugged, I Expect you to die and Red Matter. Red Matter has now been Quest 2 enhanced, it already looked good on Quest 1, but not looks even better!

Once I was immersed in games I didn't notice the reduced FOV, I'm sure it is more restricted than my Quest 1, but I have sold it now so can't compare. What I do notice is the clarity is vastly improved and SDE near enough not visible. I will be keeping my Quest 2 :smile:

Also I know VR Cover have a Quest 2 replacement interface which I will probably pre-order as soon as available (which it isn't in UK yet) Their thinner cover increased FOV slightly on Quest 2.

If anyone has already received a VR Cover interface for Quest, I would be interested to know if it does make any FOV increase?  

Bit late to the party here, but I didn't see the straight panel edges at all with the standard face gasket and interface, but when I fitted the VR Covers ones, they were very apparent - though it doesn't bother me to a game-breaking extent.

This got me thinking and I tried fitting the spectacles adapter that comes with Quest 2 - it's only very thin, but lo and behold all the panel edges disappeared again. So if you have issues still, try doing that - the reduction in FOV caused by doing this is very hard to notice.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

tern
Explorer

My IPD is 74mm, and the maximum setting for Quest 2 is 3(ipd). I have used Quest 2 for about a month. The FOV is relatively small. Sometimes I need to adjust the position of Quest 2 at any time, but I still enjoy the fun of Quest 2 and look forward to the next generation of Oculus. Quest, I hope I can support my IPD and a larger FOV.

My first VR is Oculus Development Kit 1, and my second Quest 2 is a huge improvement for me.