cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 acting weird outside

Metatrix
Honored Guest
So I wanted to try ninja legends in the park, just in front of my house.
I wanted to have a big playground, and it is truly the perfect place, I'm sure you get the idea.
It is a cloudy day, like grey sky, so no direct sun.
The temperature is 2 degrees Celsius outside (correct me if I'm wrong but that shouldn't impact anything, its not that cold)
And I managed to connect to my phone's internet if that has any impact on the oculus performance, but I don't think so.

When I'm inside everything works perfectly fine, but outside, everything acts weird.
There is no ONE symptom but the oculus becoms a clunky machine that seems to disfonctionnal.

The right controller has a weird angle and is not where it is supposed to be,
When drawing the playground the trigger works half of the time, left or right.
The display is laggy.
Etc.

Why would it work perfectly fine inside and become suddenly unplayable outside ?
4 REPLIES 4

The Quest isn't designed for outdoor use, tracking will be affected in conditions where the IR LEDs on the controllers are less visible to the headset cameras. That's going to happen if ambient IR is increased beyond the design window. The upper cameras may also be a bit swamped with light too unless it's very overcast.

I don't know what levels of IR light there are in different conditions but the contrast will be similar to visible light... and for that, indoor illumination levels are usually around 100 to 200 lux, outdoors, even on an extremely overcast day will be at least 10 times those values, going up to a 500 times that on a sunny day. I have the original Quest, not Quest 2 and I find that tracking works well, even down to around 1 or 2 lux, so I would guess at 2 to 1000 lux is maybe the design window they've gone for (or whatever the equivalent IR levels are), i.e. indoor use from very dark up to a very bright office type environment.

Added to this, there could be issues with headset tracking if there aren't sufficient objects nearby to give it constant references as to it's own position, distant objects may not be sufficient for the task, particularly if they're all within that high illumination level, there just may not be sufficient contrast. Additional markers may be needed to be placed on the ground for example if all that's there is a large area of grass or similarly coloured paving.

PITTCANNA
Visionary

Metatrix said:

So I wanted to try ninja legends in the park, just in front of my house.
I wanted to have a big playground, and it is truly the perfect place, I'm sure you get the idea.
It is a cloudy day, like grey sky, so no direct sun.
The temperature is 2 degrees Celsius outside (correct me if I'm wrong but that shouldn't impact anything, its not that cold)
And I managed to connect to my phone's internet if that has any impact on the oculus performance, but I don't think so.

When I'm inside everything works perfectly fine, but outside, everything acts weird.
There is no ONE symptom but the oculus becoms a clunky machine that seems to disfonctionnal.

The right controller has a weird angle and is not where it is supposed to be,
When drawing the playground the trigger works half of the time, left or right.
The display is laggy.
Etc.

Why would it work perfectly fine inside and become suddenly unplayable outside ?

Your going to break your quest doing this.  The lcd screen alone is not intened to be able to hand the uv rays of the sun.

the controllers have ir emitters that interact with ir sensing cameras.  

Did you even read the manual it strictly says no outdoor use.

Tadin
Heroic Explorer
I manage to play my Quest outside in my garden on overcast days quite often and it works fine, however, its quite a small garden with fences all around so plenty for the Quest to track.

I havent tried the Quest 2 yet though, so it might be different.

I certainly wouldnt use it outside if there was much chance of direct sunshine though, that would mess with the cameras and you wouldnt want sunshine on the lens if you took the headset off facing the wrong way.

Yeah I think I wouldn't risk it either, you never know when the sun might come out if you're engrossed in a game. And you'd just have to remove the headset in a way that shines the light through the lens onto the screen and that would probably be enough to burn a line into it.

Maybe after sunset for an hour or so but I haven't tried it yet.