cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest 2 bug: Microphone not working with Link

Horis0nten
Protege
I just stumbled across a bug that I can not understand how it has slipped through the testing... This bug really needs fixing asap.

The microphone does not always work when linked and in SteamVR. This is really annoying and the only workaround I have found to work is in this video:

7 REPLIES 7

Fangzhou
Adventurer
For me and one of my friend who is using Quest 2, the mic never works unless the Oculus Virtual Audio Device's microphone is being used when Oculus Link starting. So one of the method to fix the issue is to let Oculus Virtual Audio Device's headphone listen to Oculus Virtual Audio Device's microphone first before connecting Oculus Link, then after connecting disable the listening. I think this could be a common issue for Oculus Link, and for me this happened since 2019 when the Oculus Link beta was released. Until now this still happens and happens for both Quest 1 and 2. 

Horis0nten
Protege
Not following fully. Does it only work if you:
1. Open the Oculus software on your Pc.
2. Choose the Oculus Virtual Audio.
3. Connect headset and enable Link.
?

I'm pretty sure my default is the Oculus Virtual Audio in the software, even when it's not connected to the headset.

Fangzhou
Adventurer

?

I'm pretty sure my default is the Oculus Virtual Audio in the software, even when it's not connected to the headset.

No, the step is like: 
1. On PC choose Oculus Virtual Audio Device as default microphone and default playback device.
2. Go to the detail settings of this microphone, make sure "listen to this device" turned on and it is listened by Oculus Virtual Audio Device.
3. Connect headset and enable Link, now you should hear your own voice. 
4. Go to detail settings of the microphone and turn off the "listen to this device", the microphone will work

Horis0nten
Protege
Great, I'll try that!

Horis0nten
Protege

Fangzhou said:

?

No, the step is like: 
1. On PC choose Oculus Virtual Audio Device as default microphone and default playback device.
2. Go to the detail settings of this microphone, make sure "listen to this device" turned on and it is listened by Oculus Virtual Audio Device.
3. Connect headset and enable Link, now you should hear your own voice. 
4. Go to detail settings of the microphone and turn off the "listen to this device", the microphone will work

Just to update. Your method worked great and was a lot smoother than opening the voice recorder and keeping a recording going while un- and replugging the headset.

Now let's hope they fix this bug sometime...

BlackShark3D
Protege
I'm having the same problem :
Mic does not work even when it's selected.

The only solution I have found is to restart my Quest2 and reconnect.
Somtimes it takes multiple times to get the mike working.

Even when the mike does work, the windows sound control panel indicates the Oculus mike to have a constant 50% transmission (regardless of what it actually picks up).
Applications do show the correct loundness, and I can get my apps to work normally (games with mike support, Discord, etc...)

JudgeBerry
Honored Guest
I had the same problem. In my case there was a secondary input source for sound in the windows settings. Even though the quest was the default it only worked after I disabled the other one.

Win 10, settings, sound, manage sound devices, Now look for any input device that is not the quest and disable it. I still only see 50% on the transmission but it now works.