cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Quest] Controllers stuttering using Link

killkrt
Honored Guest
Hi,

I am using the official Link cable and I noticed that when I switch to the Rift page (I mean when you enable the Link Beta App) the controllers seem to be less fluid, they seems to be sampled at lower frequency than when Link is not connected (I would say almost half the original frequency).

I think this was not happening before, but I am not 100% sure, so I don't know if it is due to a software upgrade or it was always there but I didn't notice since I was too excited by the new toy!  🙂

My configuration:
CPU: i7 6700K@4500MHz
GPU: RX5700 XT (Sapphire Nitro+)
RAM: 16GB@3200MHz
USB 3 bandwidth: 1.6GByte (as detected by Oculus app)
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you on the v18 PTC? Because this was just posted - the PTC had an update today that was pushed this morning.

"Hey folks - With the latest PTC update, we have introduced a fix for the SteamVR tracking bug on Rift that some users have reported here on the forums. Please note, however, we are aware that some Quest + Link users may experience some odd tracking behavior if they have mismatched software builds (i.e. V17 on Quest, and V18 on the desktop software). If you experience any unexpected behavior using Link while on the v18 PTC, it is recommended that you opt out of PTC to get back to v17 until the v18 software update has been rolled out to your Quest headset later this month. Thanks!"

killkrt
Honored Guest
No, I am using stable release (17.0.0.183.462)

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

killkrt said:

Just wait until v18 comes out of ptc and also becomes available on the Quest later this month.  I actually run v17 on both and my Quest controllers seem to track fine w/Link.  If you have not already done so maybe try better controller batteries like eneloop aa 1900mahr rechargeables.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Are you experiencing that lack of "fluidity" in game also? There *is* a small bit of input latency even with Link (much more with VD and wireless) but I wouldn't call what I notice a lack of fluidity but maybe it's just a difference in terminology. The controllers lag a tiny bit behind what the user is doing... is this what you are describing? If so - that's normal.

killkrt
Honored Guest
It is like the controllers position was sampled at 60% (I mean more than 50%, but less than 75%) of the frequency used without Link, you can feel that is less fluid, less natural. Anyway there is no delay (at least it is not so appreciable).

While if I use Virtual Desktop I have the same issue and also a pretty annoying delay (I guess between 100ms-250ms) that makes it pretty unusable with gaming. 

killkrt
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

killkrt said:

Just wait until v18 comes out of ptc and also becomes available on the Quest later this month.  I actually run v17 on both and my Quest controllers seem to track fine w/Link.  If you have not already done so maybe try better controller batteries like eneloop aa 1900mahr rechargeables.

I don't think it is a problem related to batteries (anyway I am using the original ones, that I was not using since some days ago), because when I use my Quest without Link everything works smoothly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

killkrt said:

It is like the controllers position was sampled at 60% (I mean more than 50%, but less than 75%) of the frequency used without Link, you can feel that is less fluid, less natural. Anyway there is no delay (at least it is not so appreciable).

While if I use Virtual Desktop I have the same issue and also a pretty annoying delay (I guess between 100ms-250ms) that makes it pretty unusable with gaming. 

Ok, I think I know what you are describing - yes, its normal. I think they use a predictive algorithm to smooth movement too - which makes the controller movement seem a bit ... off and artificial with Link. It "smooths" the motion a bit and makes it feel, soft? I'm having a hard time describing it but I think I know what you are meaning now. 

bradbutter
Explorer
Having the same issue. But i did notice my quest and desktop version are different like @jseams mentioned. My Quest is on 17 and my Oculus app is version 18. Im not new to pc but im new to pcvr. What is PTC? how do i get the version 18 on my quest or downgrade my oculus app to 17?

bradbutter
Explorer
also to add to the post.. I believe what the OP is saying , if its the same as mine, The environments and world load just fine. Its literally just the controllers and controller movement that is stuttered or lagging. And for me it does this in VD or with the Link.

I have a AMD Ryzen 5 3600
ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING Motherboard
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB DDR6
16GB DDR4 Ram
Windows 10
Everything brand new as i just gutted and upgraded my old pc. Only things that arent new weere my power supply and the wires and case.