cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-purchasing Oculus Store Games for Quest

MShimura
Honored Guest
8t2gaoodf9rl.pngc0v4r29ho575.pngHi all,

On Oculus Desktop, I bought Superhot VR along with a number of other titles. When trying to download it on the Quest, it said I had to repurchase it for $24.99. I’m a little angry that I have to re-purchase a game I already bought from Oculus in order for it to work on the Quest. This may be an issue for other users that have purchased Beat Saber, Fruit Ninja, or other titles that are accessible on both headsets. I think that this is a terrible policy, especially for loyal consumers who have purchased many games that are available on both Quest/Rift. Any work arounds?

9 REPLIES 9

nAV2016
Heroic Explorer
I think the developers demand more because they perhaps have recode games in order for them to work on the quest. I is not Oculus but the developer demand more money, i agree with u thou..paying double for the same game is definately a mood killer

Sun-Knight-Sola
Protege
They don't really have to do much to port over to the Quest. Kill 4k textures, delete some stuff for size, target a different platform. It's pretty easy really for those games using engines like UE4 and Unity. Literally just did this for a project I've been working on in UE4 since 2017. Didn't even have to recode anything. 

w_benjamin
Adventurer
Superhot was rebuilt specifically for the Quest, so it's safe to assume they'd want some compensation.

RoboRecall is free.
Fruit Ninja is free.
SPT is free.
I Expect You To Die is free.

I expect a lot of games will be a cross-buy, but they won't all to be like that.

Sun-Knight-Sola
Protege
I would be surprised if the developers "rebuilt" Superhot. It's made with Unity. The work to port from PC to mobile with Unity is surprisingly easy. I would bet that they spent time replacing textures, testing builds in quest, recoding things that didn't work immediately, and tweaking render settings.

It's a good game and I'm fine with them choosing how they license it per device.

I just find it hard to believe they had a lot of work in the way of porting their game. 

MShimura
Honored Guest
Thank you for the comments everyone. Too bad the full cost of it is transferred to the consumer. I'd love to play Beat Saber on Quest, but I already bought it on a different platform and can't justify a repurchase.

w_benjamin
Adventurer

I would be surprised if the developers "rebuilt" Superhot. It's made with Unity. The work to port from PC to mobile with Unity is surprisingly easy. I would bet that they spent time replacing textures, testing builds in quest, recoding things that didn't work immediately, and tweaking render settings.

It's a good game and I'm fine with them choosing how they license it per device.

I just find it hard to believe they had a lot of work in the way of porting their game. 

https://superhotgame.com/no-tethers-no-limits-a-very-long-post-about-a-year-of-rebuilding-superhot-v...

It took them longer to build the 'port' for the quest than it did the original game.

Hmmm..., maybe they should charge more then...

Swifty0ne
Expert Protege
Welcome to Capitalism. I mean its not perfect... but the suffering it endures is much less than other forms of government....  And hey... Superpower status YO! 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
The best way around this is to use ALVR to stream the game to the Quest. I've tried this with a number of games now and they work pretty much the same. You do need a 5GHZ internet connection though. I already owned SuperHot so this was an easy choice for me.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

FrancKaos
Protege
I think going forward, crossbuy will be a bigger thing, it's just they have a captive market on a brand new device. Course they're going to double dip, but new games coming out - if they try to sell it to people twice they're going to get a bad rep, people won't buy it twice, and maybe not even once!
So it would make more sense then, to let people buy it and play on whatever device.