cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUGGESTION - Update progress notification

TBwn
Protege

I'm in the midst of update hell and from the look of the forums I am not alone with ver 29 issues.

It occurs to me; I have the headset, an app on phone, and an app on my PC which can all see the headset.
It would be GREAT if any, or all, of them could provide some form of progress during software updates.

As it stands I basically watch my headset screen go black and just set it aside and hope for the best.

6 REPLIES 6

drvng4evr
Protege

Well I agree with you 100%. I also hoped for the best and got the WORST! I let the headset sit for 2 hours, black screen, let it sit 4 hours and still a black screen. This is a very common problem with a lot of people and OCULUS has not came up with a solution. I did all the normal fixes, except a factory re-set, which I don't want to do. But this seems to be the fix-all solution from OCULUS, which is CRAP!!

Now, when I power up I only get the last guardian boundary I set-up and the black screen and when I move out of boundary the pass-through camera comes on. So, the head-set does work somewhat. At about 10:30 A.M.  E.S.T. today I'm going to do the factory re-set and see what happens.

Yeah, I had to reset which got me working again.  Second time in under a year I have had to so I will be sure not to get attached to any Oculus saved game data from now on.

drvng4evr
Protege

Well I did the factory re-set and everything went well. Like everyone else, I had to download my apps again. Thankfully my home screen came back and my apps I had before were still there. Like I said, just had to re-download them. There was a couple of things on my phone app I had to do as part of the set-up, but it was no big deal. 

The biggest concern I had was that the headset was going to re-set to "out of the box condition". I thought I was going to a ground zero set-up, but to my surprise that did not happen.

NOW, here's a thought, my initial download of the update was done over WI-FI. Then I plugged in the Oculus Link cable to my laptop to install the update. At that time is when I had the problem. I think the next time I will just hook up the cable before doing anything and do the sideload from the computer.

I wish to thank everyone that was in this chat session and the help that was provided. I hope everybody gets back up and running!!! 

TBwn
Protege

Mine was installed over wifi, start to finish.  I had it plugged in for power but not to the laptop.

Thanks for that update. I will remember that next time and we'll see what happens.

Who knows 6 months from now we might be here having the same conversation. ( HA HA)

TBwn
Protege

For the record, mine FAILED while plugged into the wall and on wifi.