cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple way to crank up the resolution on Quest 2

RandomExpert
Protege
Good morning!

From a few youtube videos I've learned how to really enhance the image quality in my new Quest 2. It really is an amazing difference. I highly recommend it! Basically accomplished either using SideQuest settings or typing in several ADB commands, again in SideQuest.

Question: is there some kind of shell script I can load on my Quest 2 that runs those ADB commands automatically? Or an easy way to create a simple run script that I can manually run on my Quest 2? I do have some PC coding experience so not afraid to get my hands digitally dirty 😉

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Dantragg
Explorer
Curious what changes you make through sidequest. I got link and steam vr pretty solid, got virtual desktop good as I can get for Dr appt internet connection, but since v23 it has been hit or miss changing oculus debug tool or using sidequest.

RandomExpert
Protege
Good morning Dantragg!

These are the commands I now manually load and that I want to have a shell/command script load. If you have any suggestions for any other, please do share them with us 🙂

adb shell setprop debug.oculus.textureWidth 2560
 adb shell setprop debug.oculus.textureHeight 2560

adb shell setprop debug.oculus.cpuLevel 4

adb shell setprop debug.oculus.gpuLevel 4

adb shell setprop debug.oculus.refreshRate 90

Dantragg
Explorer
If this is basically the same as changing those settings in debug tool or using presets in sidequest, then im using similar settings.  In sidequest ill set CPU/GPU to lvl 4, 90 hrz refresh rate, in sidequest occasionally change FFR to medium, width and height has been biggest mystery. One post says use default since the newest patch, another says enter 3664 for max, another says a different setting. cant find any that agree

RandomExpert
Protege
Good morning Dantragg!

Yes I think so too. Now if I could figure out a way to make those changes without always having to plug into Sidequest. Have you found a simpler way?

AngelsVenom
Protege

Good morning Dantragg!

Yes I think so too. Now if I could figure out a way to make those changes without always having to plug into Sidequest. Have you found a simpler way?

I would like to know that too.

RandomExpert
Protege
Please let me know if you find anything. I've posted in Oculus developer and reddit but still no luck. I'm new to Oculus but in decades of software engineering, I've never found a device that does not have some kind of loading script or callable shell script. Who knows! Maybe Oculus Quest 2 is the exception 🙂   Maybe there's a youtube video somewhere talking about it. I've not tried that.

I just did a google search and all I find are my questions hahaha  So maybe I'm going in the wrong direction? Maybe i should be searching for "shell script on Android? Quest 2 is an android system... hummmm

If I do find something, I will update here. 

ohgrant
Superstar
 Simplest way I would say is still just use Sidequest IMO . Another way I sometimes use because I can force quest to take a snapshot in link, is run this as a bat. Need to be in dev mode. https://www.dropbox.com/s/i79ve90plpd810e/QuestASM.bat?dl=0

Automatically, I haven't seen yet. There was another guy on youtube that used ADB to load icons in his quest to change to various resolutions but even that method the Quest would reset to default on every start. I still have the files from that mod, but never did it myself. I zipped and uploaded those files. If memory recalls I had them all just never got around to it.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/fujnw9t19kxz5ls/quest%20res%20zp.zip?dl=0

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

RandomExpert
Protege
Thank you very much ohgrant! Those are great and very helpful. Yes, I'm okay with a reboot reset as long as I have an on headset method to change the settings. I will have to take a closer look at those files and convert them to an Android script file. Never thought I'd being doing something in the Android OS. Yet another OS hahaha  I mean really. What was wrong with punch cards? Really! 😉

ohgrant
Superstar
 Glad you find them useful. Not much of a coder myself, just some visual basic and html tinkering. Let me know if you need a beta tester. 
Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.