cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam VR Support?

MeadMan86
Honored Guest

Steam is the largest digital distribution platform of PC games, and VR games, but I am unable to access my Steam games on my Quest 2. When will this be fixed?

6 REPLIES 6

kojack
MVP
MVP

The Quest 2 can play Steam games when using Link (USB cable), AirLink (wifi) or Virtual Desktop (wifi).

As a stand alone headset though, Steam games are not physically possible on Quest 2. Steam only sells PC (windows, linux, osx) based games, while the Quest 2 is using mobile hardware with Android.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

I ordered a cable yesterday, but via airlink and virtual desktop, I was able to log in to one game, after nearly 2 hours of messing with settings and trying to get a stable connection. The latency i was experiencing rendered the game utterly unplayable- airlink kept disconnecting and reconnecting every 5 to 8 seconds. I'll try it with a cable, but Oculus really ought to do something about Steam VR support. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

Wifi can definitely be very fussy. For best results you need a good 5GHz router that is near the VR headset with no obstructions (5GHz is worse than 2.4GHz at going through walls) and the PC should be connected to the router by ethernet. There should also be little else going on on the wifi. I recently bought a router with dual 5GHz channels, so I can reserve one for VR and the other for misc devices.

Doing real time VR over wifi is pushing the limits, previously the main option was 60GHz ceiling mounted systems (used for Vives).

It's easier to get it all going with USB (Link), but of course the cable is then annoying.

None of this is related to SteamVR though. SteamVR supports Oculus Rifts and when Link/Airlink are working the Quest effectively becomes a Rift.

Although if you mean just run SteamVR games on the Quest itself, that's physically impossible, nothing Oculus can do about that. Streaming from a PC (the Link/Airlink method) is the only way.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Yeah, I totally get that the OS is different and that running the Steam games directly isn't feasible. We're all good there. I guess then, what I'd like to see is better functionality from the Airlink. Unfortunately, my gaming laptop doesn't have an ethernet port. I have a good multi channel router with 5ghz capability and even after following all the tips (except an ethernet connection for my laptop) the latency was still crippling.

I'm planning to try playing via direct link with a usb c to usb c cable. My laptop download speed when directly adjacent to my router is better than 400mbps so I'm hoping that's good enough.  I appreciate your help. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

One thing you could try is bypassing the router and make a hotspot on the laptop, so the headset connects directly. Not all laptop network hardware is up to that (many can only make 2.4GHz hotspots, but some can do 5GHz). I've done it with mine for Virtual Desktop (similar to Airlink, but you have to pay for it).

Unfortunately, if your laptop is on the same 5GHz wifi as the headset, the available bandwidth will be shared between them, reducing that's available for AirLink. That's why an ethernet connection to the router is recommended.

You haven't told us the specs of your laptop, so that might be affecting the experience too. Is it only Steam games that are affected by the performance problem or are Oculus store apps affected the same?