cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible god rays (video included).

Baliszoft
Protege

Received my quest 2 today. I am very disappointed by the quality of the picture, it has noticable god rays on high contrast text/graphics which are not right in the middle of the view. My other VR headset is a Rift S and it has hardly any god rays at all. Is there any way I can get a replacement unit which is at least as good as my old Rift S? Not a happy customer. 

5 REPLIES 5

aguy10
Heroic Explorer

If your ipd checks out to be compatible it's possible your lenses are defective which would qualify you for a free replacement.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, we'd be more than happy to look at this further with you. Please click here to submit a ticket and if possible, include images of your display as you see it so that we can assess the issue. Thanks!

If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Baliszoft
Protege

Thank you very much for your comments!

I will try to make pics both of my Rift S and Q2 later today.
My IPD is 58ish (Rift S set to 58, Q2 is on its tightest setting), but i can see the rays even with just one eye open. 

By the way, if I would not have used the Rift S before (as comparison/reference), i would think this is how it supposed to look, but switching to the Q2 after playing with the Rift S, it is an obvious step back in image quality. ...and i thought the Q2 will be better, not worse :(. I am not talking about the washed out colors, compressed image look - this is something i could live with (during PCVR). The improved resolution and nearly non existent screen door effect, the ability to use this headset as standalone compensate for all this, but the obtrusive glowing of the brighter spots and text renders my Q2 a worser experience in overall compared to the Rift S.

Baliszoft
Protege

Here is a video i just recorded. I haven't got any fancy camera, but the difference betweeh the Quest 2 and the Rift-S is obvious (at least to me). Does this mean that my Quest 2 is defective?

https://youtu.be/b_Vy8lReAlI

Baliszoft
Protege

Update on the situ:
I have bought a second Quest 2 :D. Oculus did not get back to me yet regarding to my first Q2, so i decided to buy an other headset from a different seller (in different country). The second one is slightly better in terms of produced god rays, still not comparable to my Rift-S. No, i am not about to buy a third or fourth to try to match my expectations! I already messaged Oculus to cancel my inquiry for a replacement. I will use these Quest 2-s as is, probably give the first one to my Brother. These are still fun to play games like pistol whip or beat saber or the like, but i learned that these are just child toys. Will wait for a proper VR headset for PC VR usage. ... and before you would say this is what you get for $299. No, in europe i bought these for $530 a piece!