cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

There seems to be a (few?) problems, advise appreciated

notaprimenumber
Protege
Hello all, recently I bought a Quest, like basically everybody around the world.
I wanted to expand a bit and sideload things, like try the latest pavlov alpha or whatever (alvr basically). There comes the quandary: windows doesn't (really) see the quest. It is recognised, but not shown. Unless I disable developer mode on the app. But then, of course, adb devices stays empty. Yes, I installed the drivers, alvr/adb is on c: drive etc. This all just worked with my Go, like a charm really. I'll have to try with some other cable or adapter, my pc doesn't have usb-c, and I was using the cable I have for my oneplus, usb-c to usb-a.
Also, when windows feels but can't see the content of the Quest, the Quest itself doesn't see windows at all, no allow request at all.
Reboot and repeat gives the same results.

Of course, with the Go I tried before the latest forced update by Microsoft, that could add to the problem, maybe.
I don't know if this has been discussed, if so, a link to the thread/message would be appreciated. Or any help at all.
Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

slapStickVR
Protege
Short hint: "SideQuest". Thank me later. 

notaprimenumber
Protege

I will surely try it. And take this as a preview: thanks!
Thing is, why the connection seems so strangely inconsistent. I connect it, windows pings and notifies asking what to do with this thing; the Quest appears... but it also shows nothing. Whereas if I disable deveper mode, I can see the content with no problem. Seems a driver problem, or something software related.
Still, if your suggestion bypass ADB, the need to solve this problem disappears, I guess.

notaprimenumber
Protege
So, yeah.
Many thanks, I really should try to find a simple solution, instead of trying (and failing) to understand why the heck the problem arose. Old habits.
You were right, I just have to thank you.

Although, SideQuest is a really cute name, but not very google friendly, many unrelated results until a post on Reddit mentioned the correct way.
Also, WTF is "grappa"?

notaprimenumber
Protege
Follow up. So, I repeat the thanks, from the Quest, through Virtual Desktop (Steam version), through ALVR.
I'd say it works like it was supposed to.
Still, what is "grappa", and why it exists, it's a mystery.