cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Try This Very Simple Mod For Comfort (comfort history/experience noted)

Marnad1982
Honored Guest
Hello all (First post from me, but I wanted to share this - pics below),

We all know the Quest is front heavy and I've been on a mission to increase comfort since I purchased mine (Nov. 2019). To be straight forward, I will write in point form below, chronologically ("very simple mod" will be noted as the last piece of info, if you wish to skip);

- the first thing I did, was get a scrap 1" metal shaft and cut three 1" pieces, each weighing ~ 100 grams (used velcro stock to overlap and secure). Plus or minus 300 grams seems to be within the sweet spot for a counter weight (used a grinder and rotary metal brush to taper/smooth the edges)

- I then tried VR Cover's face and strap cushion. Overall, I didn't like it; the strap cushion made it feel less secure on the back of my head (wanting to slip). Therefore, I went with a silicone face cover (feels soft & cool). One positive on the VR Cover - I found the FOV increased slightly

- Then, I pulled the trigger on the HTC Vive DAS strap ($149.99 + tax from Dell Canada). After reading all the hype on this, I was quite shocked to find that this didn't improve my level of comfort much at all (with and without counter weights). I quickly returned it - not worth $150 + tax in my opinion

- (VERY SIMPLE MOD) The last simple and CHEAP mod (again, see pics), which I find alleviates the front heaviness on the cheek bones significantly; use a 1/2" piece of foam pipe insulation approximately 4-1/2" long, cutting reliefs for bending every ~ 3/4". Where the pipe insulation splits, cut out approximately a 1/4" strip on each side to allow the top strap to seat within (on a quirky note, it has a mohawk like effect when worn and the pipe insulation spreads). NOTE: keep the insulation as close as possible to the face gasket (where the strap starts).

Now, I don't mean to knock VR Cover and the DAS solution, as many claim it's the way to go. The above is strictly my personal experience and opinion. But, especially for the DAS, I just couldn't justify spending the $150 CAD.

Regarding the pipe insulation, I will say; it's the first time I used my Quest and didn't feel like, "Damn, this is starting to get heavy on the front." Overall, I conclude I can wear it for much longer periods of time. One last tidbit from me that can help general comfort; I double over a bandana, loosely, prior to wearing the Quest.

I hope this information helps. I would highly recommend trying the pipe insulation mod. Thanks for your time!n1mfqmo8ret8.jpga5jm3yqqn7md.jpglw2a0scxcs1s.jpg
0 REPLIES 0