cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What slider setting do I need to mimic CV1 resolution?

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
I have bought a Q2 and want to link to PC but can't yet afford new gfx card.
I would still like to enjoy the denser pixels though so thought I could lower the resolution to match my CV1 which runs fine.
Is there an actual setting I should be using?
(I think there is more to it than just getting the resolution e.g. compensating for barrel distortion?)

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

PITTCANNA
Visionary
Render scale under refresh rate

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Thanks 
But which setting along that slider 
Or do I literally mimic the CV1 resolution?

PITTCANNA
Visionary
Just leave it alone until you notice stuttering then drop it down until smooth frame rate.

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
Righto
Soz for being a numpty. 
The auto setting: does that reduce the resolution to keep the frames at 90?
Getting my unit on Friday. 
Can not wait!!! 

PITTCANNA
Visionary
Auto just scales to your gpu, 1.0 is native quest 2 anything higher just stresses the card and super samples.  I have mine on 1.3-1.4 but I have an rtx 2080 super.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

PITTCANNA said:

Auto just scales to your gpu, 1.0 is native quest 2 anything higher just stresses the card and super samples.  I have mine on 1.3-1.4 but I have an rtx 2080 super.

Actually, 1.0 is sub-sampled. 1.7 gets you “native” resolution at the centre of the screen, but you need a hefty GPU to drive that resolution.

CV1’s default render target is something like 2700x1600. Quest 2 at 90Hz uses 3696x1832 at 1.0, so if you cant quite support that, you can adjust it down a bit to approximate CV1. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer

nalex66 said:
Actually, 1.0 is sub-sampled. 1.7 gets you “native” resolution at the centre of the screen, but you need a hefty GPU to drive that resolution.

CV1’s default render target is something like 2700x1600. Quest 2 at 90Hz uses 3696x1832 at 1.0, so if you cant quite support that, you can adjust it down a bit to approximate CV1. 

That's what I thought.  I watched a video by Karl Gosling who mentioned the foveated rendering element and how the 1.7 was what you needed for 'native' because it compensates for the fisheye/barreling required to render the image through the lenses.

So, 2700x1600 takes in to account all that stretching etc and would closely match,  resolution-wise, what I see through the CV1 ?  Target resolution is what is needed to fully make the image?

He did also mention about the radius of this foveated rendering can also be changed to save space (little point in having pin sharp resolution outside of the sweet-spot).  I can't see a setting for this.  I presume it is in the debug tool thingy?

I do like the slider in Home because it means that I don't need to have the debug tool open because I can Home's slider instead. It would be awesome if Facebook could also add a visual representation of this setting e.g. having a slider and showing the radius of the sweet-spot!

So to sum up.  If I wanted to replicate setting the debug tool to 1.2 sampling, I would need to set the slider to (2700*1.2) x (1600*1.2)?

Soz for being a pain; when your hardware is on the limit, little things like this matter!

Thanks!