cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why wont Oculus just max out the resolution for the Quest 2? Fix the blurry graphics.

Anonymous
Not applicable

So I noticed recently that Oculus launched an update for the Quest 2 where they made 120hz the native framerate for the headset. This blew me away, considering that not too long ago 90hz was experimental for the mobile gaming headset. However, though many content creators and bloggers boast the "impressive graphics of the Quest 2", I still have yet been convinced of this. The resolution, although I have correctly and precisely set my IPD setting to the correct distance, as well as thoroughly cleaning my lenses with a dry microfiber cloth, still remains blurry and disappointing. I can read text if it's about 3 feet away from me, but that's about it. I have 20/20 vision, so I know that I don't need glasses to improve the quality of the image. I have maxed out the resolution via Sidequest, and while it looks stunning, the framerate drops below 30 and the home environment glitches, making it only visible through one half of the screen. I understand that there are certain challenges that come with performing an update such as this, but it is entirely possible, and I know that more people will play more often, including me, if they release the promised resolution Oculus boasted before release. My eyes are more relaxed when I have the resolution maxed out and don't move, but I wish that I could play my favorite games for longer periods of time with great graphics and framerate instead of taking off the headset every 5 minutes to see a clear image in real life. Oculus, I know you can do this, and I hope the maximum potential of the Quest 2 is utilized in v.30 of the headset software. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Hmm, you might be referring to the "sweet spot" that all HMD's (not just Oculus) contain. If you dont have your HMD lined up to where your eyes are looking through the "sweet spot" then that will cause blurriness. This is true for all HMDs, and they all have varying degrees of sweet spot size. The Quest 2 has one of the largest sweet spots on the market today. I've used multiple HMDs over the years (including Vive and Vive Pro), and I would say that the Quest 2 is incredibly clear comparably.

VR is not really as perfectly clear as the real-world. That will be true for any HMD. You can help this a bit with a high-end graphics card and PCVR, in order to increase the in-game resolution and sharpen the image. But even at that, it won't look as clear as it would if you were viewing the game screen on a nice gaming Monitor.

But overall, Quest 2 clarity is quite nice; and some of the clearest on the market today. The only exception might be the HP Reverb, which currently boasts of the best clarity of all HMDs. Quest 2 comes in second place here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've seen videos explaining how to get it just right, and I think that I've gotten as close and accurate as possible to the sweet spot. The image, however, still didn't get much better. I think it's just a matter of Oculus maxing out the res in v.30. My PC isn't that powerful, and I don't really have the budget for a PCVR headset and a wopper of a graphics card, so I rely on Oculus to improve the VR experience. Thanks for trying to help, though. I appreciate the input.

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it's just a matter of Oculus maxing out the res in v.30. My PC isn't that powerful, and I don't really have the budget for a PCVR headset and a wopper of a graphics card, so I rely on Oculus to improve the VR experience. 

That would be difficult for Oculus to accomplish due to the underlying dependency. It would be similar to a situation where you are running out of Hard Drive space, and asking Oculus to make the game files smaller. Beyond standard file compression techniques, there isn't much more that can be done. At some point you would need to increase your hard drive space. Similar with graphic quality. If you want higher-end graphics then you would need to increase the power of you GPU and Processor.

You would have this same issue whether you are using a different VR HMD or even a flat monitor.

There are some things Oculus, and others, can do to help optimize these HMDs. But when connecting it to your PC, the PC hardware will always serve as a bottleneck.

Anonymous
Not applicable

i

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoops sorry. I was going to say that I get what you're saying. However, Oculus initially released the Quest 2 with 60hz as native and 90hz as experimental. Now, out of nowhere, 120hz is native on the Quest 2. That means that the Quest 2 had to have already had the capability to run 120hz, but Oculus just had to finalize it, fix it, and release it. The same then goes for resolution. If I can go into Sidequest and, though it doesn't work well at all in games and the frames drop drastically, max out my resolution, that means that the hardware and capability to produce that many pixels is already there, Oculus just has to finalize it and release it. I'm not asking for them to change what exists into something that doesn't, I'm just asking for them to use all of what they have.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice COVID skeletor btw

clouds5
Expert Protege

What exactly do you mean by "maxing out the resolution"? You can max out the render resolution in the oculus software, setting it to 1.5x (5408*2736). That's well above 4k (3840*2160) so you need top of the line hardware and it probably won't be possible to get steady 72+fps in every title even with a 3090. But if I understand it correctly, running that max res in Oculus software outputs to the native resolution of the Quest 2, which gives optimal image clarity.

Of course, multisampling anti-aliasing (msaa) is also an important factor in image clarity. Usually games default to some form of lower than native resolution and msaa to get rid of jagged edges. But sometimes I prefer using higher render resolution, turn off msaa completely and live with some jaggies because msaa introduces some blur. Especially with fast paced things like racing sims I always turn off MSAA completely and crank the res slider as high as possible. But experiment on your own.

Of course ideally one would always use native Quest 2 res (1.5x, 5408*2736pixels) and add just a small factor of msaa to get rid of jagged edges.

Sidenote: I would really love some dev to implement nvidia DLSS or the new FSR from AMD in a VR title. That seems like a perfect fit but maybe there is an issue with ghosting or something? From my point of view any vr title should use that 😄

I5-10600kf@5Ghz, 16GB DDR3600, RTX 2070

Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean Quest 2 graphics by itself, not with PCVR, Virtual Desktop, or anything like that. The default Quest 2 texture size is 2048, which is not bad by any means. However, the full capability of the Quest 2's hardware allows for a texture size of 3072 in standalone, making it almost 4K. I just want Oculus to make the new default texture size in v.30 to be 3072. It looks sooooooooo good via sidequest when I'm not moving.

Reply to Sidenote 🙂 : DUUUUUUUUDE. Imagine Half-Life Alyx engine in every upcoming VR game with like RTX or DLSS or some crap like that. That would get me wearing a headset for hours on end for sure!

Anonymous
Not applicable

well nevermind v.30 wont have that I guess v.31 will hopefully have max texture size