cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to set up Quest 2 with a high power pc but no ios nor adroid device?

ratone.ac
Explorer

I have a high powered gaming pc and bought a Quest 2 to play dozens of Steam games and especially Microsoft Flight Similator 2020.

I can't setup the headset because right at the end it says to download an iOS or Android Oculus Mobile App.

My only iOS device takes iOS 10.3.3 but Oculus Mobile app requires iOs 11.

My only android divice is an old tablet with version 4.1.2

Do I have to take the Quest 2 back to BestBuy Store for a refund?

I only want to play lots of Windows PC/Steam games.

I will never have an android nor iOs device, have zero need for those.

Is there a freeware iOs emulator that will allow me to download the Oculus Mobile App so that I can set up the Quest 2?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ratone.ac
Explorer

New tablet arrived, is very fast web browser and plays games really quick. Was able to setup the Quest 2 with it. But only after I realized that you do not pair the headset and the tablet in the tablets settings, you pair the tablet and the headset in the Quest app which is on your phone/tablet. The instructions in the headset display explaining how to setup the Quest2 is very hard to understand. It was not presented logically, just cutely.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

That must be a very old tablet.

I have it on a Google Nexus 7 V2 which is a good 10 years old.

Any chance your android device will update  ?

kojack
MVP
MVP

I don't know about IOS emulators (considering how locked down apple is, probably not likely), but no Android emulator can do the Quest setup. The problem is no android emulator has bluetooth support, and that's what's needed.

The phone isn't required for 99% of uses once the setup is done. You can get a friend to run the app on their phone, do the setup process, then uninstall the app and your Quest will run fine (it uses wifi to get on the internet. The only real need for the phone app is to turn on/off developer mode (needed for some unofficial software). But once turned on it will generally stay on.

Firmware updates might turn it off though (had it happen once, I loaned my Quest to a student for a week, but an update happen and he couldn't turn developer mode back on)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

PITTCANNA
Visionary

if your computer savy just emulate andoird

https://developer.android.com/studio/run/emulator

ratone.ac
Explorer

I have ordered a bluetooth dongle, arrives Monday, to add bluetooth to the PC where I plan to use the Quest 2. But it sounds like that will still not enable me to setup and use this headset.

Luckily I purchased at Best Buy which takes returns and even pays return shipping or you can bring it back to the store yourself.

Oculus headsets lead the market in sales, thanks to the technical people in the companies which produced the hardware. Not thanks to the business planning department that  decided to require people with advanced PC desktops to also own later model iOS and Android phones. Most iOS and android phones made are still in use which means multitudes of people owning those will not be able to use a Quest 2 headset, despite owning a modern high end PC desktop.

Yep looks like I'm one of many of such persons who can't get there from here, so probably have to return the headset. Pitty. A great many people on Avsim and other major flight sim forums love the Quest 2 but won't be using one. Due to issues something like mine which have nothing to do with the headset itself.

It would be simple of course to have two apps, one that is full featured, just as their app is now. And another very simple one which runs on old iOS/Android OS, which perhaps does nothing much more than allowing headset setup for use on a PC. PC Steam games are biggest thing in gaming. So obviously VR headsets for use on PC's represent an enormous market.

The bottom of that page says Bluetooth isn't supported.

No android emulator for PC has bluetooth, so none can set up a Quest.

(A lot of people think the Bluestacks android emulator could do it, but the name is unrelated to having a Bluetooth network stack)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

ratone.ac
Explorer

Thanks, all, for not reacting negative at my whining 🤣

So, I bit the bullet and got a $75 Android tablet running OS 10 (OS 11 is the latest). It was on a 'deal' at Amazon. Had over 1000 reviews, pretty much positive they were. Should do the trick!

There are other android apps to enhance MSFS, so should get some other uses too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08T5Q282M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1LH7VRNWX760B&psc=1 

It's a very annoying situation, I strongly disagree with the mobile requirement, just on the principle. The Quest is already an android device running on mobile hardware, why can't they put the account login bit on the headset?

But this is the way it's been for the Go, Quest 1 and now Quest 2. They aren't likely to change.

The android requirement is 5.0 though, which came out 7 years ago, 2 years before Oculus even went consumer and 4 years before Oculus started using the mobile app. They've already dropped it back to a quite out of date OS.

It should be possible to get a pretty cheap old android phone or tablet (second hand maybe), I can see new ones on amazon that might work that are under $40.

ratone.ac
Explorer

Yeah, I have an android tablet coming tomorrow (Monday) from Amazon, was on a special deal they had.