cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v23 ruined the Quest 1 for me - a list of my issues

Shilly-Shally
Explorer
Hey everyone!
Today the v23 was installed in my Oculus Quest 1 and since that my so far great experience was ruined.
So many issues that i could not even solve with factory reset or anything else - i really can't stand this.

1. Menus are superslow, lag / stutter constantly, sometimes takes very long to show up at all
2. Closing apps to get into the menus takes up to 10-20s which i never had before v23
3. Tracking is broken and Controller needed to be removed and paired again several times before they worked again

4. The most important issue for me after i saw in the update notes "improved clarity and pixel density"
The sweetspot of my vision is rendered clear and sharper compared to v20 ( 75-80% of the view ) BUT the peripheral vision top, life, right, bottom (20-25% of the view) looks like utter garbage. The resolution is so low that both different rendered areas have a sharp visible border.  I did not have this before the update and it breaks my immersion.

The Climb shows that issue so strong that i actually can't play it anymore.
Apollo 11 has the same issue and it turned a wonderful experience into something i don't want to see anymore.
SuperHot was third game i tested and it does not look so bad there - barely noticable.

Is there ANY way to go backto v20?
v23 ruined the Quest 1 for me. WHY?!
10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have turned off auto update and am not going to manually update it. I guess that's why they doing rolling updates. All these people upset because they don't get V23 right away. I'm glad I didn't.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I don't think that auto-update applies to v23 but you are probably best to do this (and all app updates) manually anyway (for v23; settings/all/about Update button).  I updated my Q1 ~7 days ago.  The only thing I found I needed to do to fix guardian and tracking was to remove my controller batteries, power down, restart and replace batteries with fresh ones, then reset Guardian (including clearing its history.  Everything worked perfect after this and I kinda like the new universal menu.  Link with PC v23 never looked so good.

Main thing is to make sure you have a good wifi/internet connection and do not do anything while it is updating.  Once its finished it will ask you to do a restart in order to finish the update.  Really nothing to be afraid of imho.  Obviously, if you do have problems contact Oculus Support.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Thmoas
Rising Star
Try restarting and worst case do a factory reset. It's not that there is much setup to do and installing games as you need then only takes a minute or 2.

Shilly-Shally
Explorer
Why do you tell how to manually install an update?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Not sure exactly what you mean mate?  But if you go to settings/all/about the top screen will say looking for updates, and if any are available the update button on top left will show up.  You then just press it to start the update.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Shilly-Shally
Explorer

Thmoas said:

Try restarting and worst case do a factory reset. It's not that there is much setup to do and installing games as you need then only takes a minute or 2.

Allready did that. Didn't help at all.

Shilly-Shally
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

Not sure exactly what you mean mate?  But if you go to settings/all/about the top screen will say looking for updates, and if any are available the update button on top left will show up.  You then just press it to start the update.

Mate, no one here is having issues to install an update or whatever. Your post does not fit in any way to my thread. o_O

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

Mate, no one here is having issues to install an update or whatever. Your post does not fit in any way to my thread. o_O

Sorry, I was only trying to help.  I'll avoid trying this with you from now on, lol!

Shilly-Shally
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

TomCgcmfc said:

Sorry, I was only trying to help.  I'll avoid trying this with you from now on, lol!

No offense, but did youn actually read what i wrote in the first post?

Do as you wish but honestly, i was wondering if you actually did read what all this is about.