cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio crackling after firmware update v1.29

sheuho
Explorer
Hi there. I am experiencing crackling audio issue since 2 days ago, (dated 2/08/2018). 
I’ve tried everything as you listed below in simonjkendrew’s post and still there’s crackling audio. It’s driving me insane. We could really do with a fix as I don’t want to use my Rift if this continues. No hardware or game software change in the last 10 months and just started 2 days ago. Very annoying bug this. Can anyone help? What’s changed? I noticed oculus vr headset had a firmware update 2 days ago v1.29, updated the firmware and ever since the crackling started. Could it be the new firmware?  HELP!

This is the same issue SIMONJKENDREW posted back in 10 June. Exact symptoms and tried options listed in his post below;

I’ve been using an Oculus Rift on my PC for almost 18 months without any audio problems, but as of about 5-6 weeks ago, the audio through my rift headphones (both left and right) has a crackling sound, which is becoming very annoying and a little disorientating when using the headset. I’ve read other forum posts of similar issues and have tried various advice from other people, but cannot seem to resolve the issue.

The crackling sound only happens through the rift headphones, my attached PC speakers or other headphones are OK. The crackling sound does not appear to be related to specific games or applications, because it also happens if I play a test sound in the Windows Sound > Playback > Rift Audio Headphones applet. The crackling can sometimes be really bad, and other times not so bad. There are some occasions where the crackling doesn’t happen at all and the sound plays fine, although this doesn’t happen very often; the majority of the time there is a crackling sound on the audio.

For the first 18 months before the problem started, the Rift USB cable was connected directly to one of the rear motherboard USB3 sockets (no extension cables). I haven’t changed the hardware in my PC prior to this problem starting.

I’ve tried the following advice I’ve seen on other posts, but none of these have solved the problem:

8 REPLIES 8

danybonin
Protege
did you tryed pluging the usb cable of the rift without any extension cable?
13900ks
nvidia rtx 4090
32GB

sheuho
Explorer
Yes tried all sorts. No joy. Been using the usb extension since day one without any issues. After update 1.29 cracking started. Just tried without the extension and same crackling audio in all games via steam. But games on oculus app seems un affected?  Really odd. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Crackling audio is over stretching the capabilities of your setup. Try settings to 44.1 (CD quality) or if running Oculus Debug Tool to higher SuperSampling then reduce slightly. The figures it used in the past were not real (e.g. 2xSS) and now have dropped to x1.5 or even x1.4 so check your ingame settings on this also.

sheuho
Explorer
OK that kinda makes sense, when did the super sampling drop from 2x to 1.5/1.4 after the 1.29 update? will give this ago tonight.

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you're having an audio issues with the latest update, please contact us for assistance. 
https://support.oculus.com/
You can also upload your LogGatherer zip file so I can take a look. Thanks.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well could be a Security Update waiting to be installed in Windows Updates and requires a reboot and another windows update check to complete it. Mine did that.

Lonzoracer
Explorer
Possible Fix:

I also had these constant audio issues (crackles) with my Oculus Rift, tried all sort of things like using different USB ports (2.0 & 3.0), powered USB hubs, reinstalled Oculus Software, uninstalled Rift Audio driver etc. and finally FIXED IT by rolling back the Rift audio driver:

This is how it's done (step by step):

Left click the Windows Start Icon at the bottom left of your screen, open Device Manager - unfold Sound, video and game controllers - right click Rift Audio - choose Properties - chose tab Driver - click Roll Back Driver.

Windows 10 then rolled back to this driver: 
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 11/04/2018
Driver Version: 10.0.17134.1
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

No more crackling audio, no matter what USB ports I use 🙂

I hope this helps!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks for following up with the solution.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV