cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call me crazy...

RattyUK
Trustee
Not literally (before you all do 🙂 )!
I sent my Rift S back for refund as it just wouldn't 'play nice'  - flashes, wouldn't start up without multiple restarts of the software or reboots of the PC.  Positively, the sound was great and apart from the rabbit right controller issue (I ended up with 24!) no other controller issues.

Reading here of the latest software update I bravely went out and bought another this morning.  This was a May build.
No problems installing (allowing a restart after firmware updates) go through the tutorial again then off to play.
A mess around in home, pick up all the Gift Packs, same odd behaviour if you grab the boxes too quickly, but otherwise pretty good.  Fire up Fallout 4, play for an hour before taking HMD off as it is a bit warm here today...

No flashes, perfectly behaved controllers, good fun had by me.
Now, the odd bit - I may be kidding myself but clarity seems much better than the first S, brighter colours, good blacks, sound is fine.

I'm impressed, shame I'll have to wait for indoors to cool down a little to bury myself in Elite: Dangerous again 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3
40 REPLIES 40

Techy111
MVP
MVP
4kor8p56ju61.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

You realise all the people waiting for a fix for their flashes (me included) are going to be thinking... 'Now.should I return my Rift-S?'
It increases the chance of the route cause being component related. Having said that, I had no flashes at all for the first week of use, so keep us updated Ratty!

sraura
Heroic Explorer

You realise all the people waiting for a fix for their flashes (me included) are going to be thinking... 'Now.should I return my Rift-S?'
Well I was thinking more along the lines "if this is hardware problem, what will oculus do?".
a) offer free replacement
b) offer some other way to fix the problem
c) offer healthy discount or pile of free games
d) close their eyes, ears and leave us crying
I don't want to return my rift-s. Those flashes are not game breaking "feature". I would rather not to have them, but unless they shorten the overall lifespan of the device, I can live with them. However I did pay for fully working product and currently the product is not working as it should. This means that some actions have to be taken. I don't expect them to take the option (d), but in case they do - this was the last product I bought from the company and I am certain that I am not the only one on that train.
I have not even contacted the Oculus support about the issue yet - just waiting to see how it plays out and for official word what to do. In my country all hardware defects (if originated from manufacturing or assembly process) are under warranty for the entire lifespan of the device.
That being said - I expect this to be software issue as I was able to get rid of static flashes on previous windows version with certain driver updates. New windows version killed that fix...
If I had to put my eggs to some basket, would say that some windows 10 component has something fishy in them. Might be usb driver or power management related or have something do with that "gr8" device performance and health check they have implemented. As far I've managed to examine, it wakes up my external usb harddrives from sleep between 60 minutes - spins them up and accesses no files on the actual disk. Great power saving right there... go microsoft .)
Obviously this could also be display driver issue or bug in Oculus firmware/software. I guess we will find in some point... Meanwhile it would be nice to get some pointers from Oculus about the progress and plans for actions if things go south.

RattyUK
Trustee

It increases the chance of the route cause being component related. Having said that, I had no flashes at all for the first week of use, so keep us updated Ratty!

I'll keep my fingers crossed as I had noted that behaviour mentioned by your good self!

Went and had a nice session in Talos Principle (despite it being 29c indoors!) still no flashes noticed...

If it does play up in a few days I'll throw all my toys out of the pram >:)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

They won't close their eyes @sraura...  it's not the way they've dealt with things on the past.

If we're talking very large numbers, I'd expect them to replace... then maybe start refurbing if it starts to get super expensive for them. Depends really on what component I guess, if it's board swap, it may not be too big a deal.

I've been keeping a detailed log of every flash. Was wondering if it's mobile phone interference and lack of shielding somewhere... every session alternatively ng between phone on & phone off. Also, when each update lands.

Can't say I have anything conclusive yet.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Have Oculus acknowledged that these flashes are a problem they are aware of and are looking into? If they haven't then I'd return it until you get a headset without the flashes.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Yes they have

mhajii210
Expert Protege
Guys I got a cable replacement from Oculus support on Tuesday and it didn't fix the static flashes. I let support know it didn't work and this is what they told me:

"We're currently aware of this issue, and we are actively working to address it. I don't have an estimated timeline for you right now on when we'll be able to do so, but we recognize the impact this has on your experience and will address this as soon as we are able.

Thanks for your continued patience while we work on this for you."

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Call me crazy...

I sent my Rift S back for refund

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFBHQfpBcSk

Jokes aside, glad you got it sorted and gave it a second chance! Looks like I may be finally picking up the Rift-S this week if the positive feedback continues!