cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Call me crazy...

RattyUK
Trustee
Not literally (before you all do 🙂 )!
I sent my Rift S back for refund as it just wouldn't 'play nice'  - flashes, wouldn't start up without multiple restarts of the software or reboots of the PC.  Positively, the sound was great and apart from the rabbit right controller issue (I ended up with 24!) no other controller issues.

Reading here of the latest software update I bravely went out and bought another this morning.  This was a May build.
No problems installing (allowing a restart after firmware updates) go through the tutorial again then off to play.
A mess around in home, pick up all the Gift Packs, same odd behaviour if you grab the boxes too quickly, but otherwise pretty good.  Fire up Fallout 4, play for an hour before taking HMD off as it is a bit warm here today...

No flashes, perfectly behaved controllers, good fun had by me.
Now, the odd bit - I may be kidding myself but clarity seems much better than the first S, brighter colours, good blacks, sound is fine.

I'm impressed, shame I'll have to wait for indoors to cool down a little to bury myself in Elite: Dangerous again 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3
40 REPLIES 40

sraura
Heroic Explorer
This reply points to direction that it is in fact software issue. Most important is the line which says "...and a replacement wouldn't fix the static/snow issue".

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I'm thinking about the S again whilst the wait for HP to sort their shizzle out. Decisions decisions 
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

inovator
Consultant
I almost sent mine back but didn't. It was very playable even with the issues. The only issue for me is a flash at times. It bothers me a little but is livable. I hope it"s a software problem. After flashes are considered fixed If mine still does it I'll fight for an exchange.

sraura said:

This reply points to direction that it is in fact software issue. Most important is the line which says "...and a replacement wouldn't fix the static/snow issue".

Assuming that's a straight and up front answer. There's a small chance they could be stalling whilst making sure theyve really pinned down the cause. There's also the possibility that it's component related but a firmware revision can mitigate whatever the trigger is. Either way I'm staying optimistic.

Techy111 said:

I'm thinking about the S again whilst the wait for HP to sort their shizzle out. Decisions decisions 

Sometimes I wonder if we're underestimating the challenge of getting an HMD to market at a decent price without issues. Still impressed with the Quest though and I just can't go back to CV1 after get ng used to the S.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Techy111 said:

Sometimes I wonder if we're underestimating the challenge of getting an HMD to market at a decent price without issues. Still impressed with the Quest though and I just can't go back to CV1 after get ng used to the S.

Yeah me either, I am hooked on my Rift S.
Bummer I have to disable my secondary monitor when using it to avoid black screen, but can live with it.

RattyUK
Trustee
@DaftnDirect  - here's an odd one...
I had flashes tonight, 5 in around 100 minutes of play of ED (but only in ED, having been playing Serious Sam Fusion 2017 and The Talos Principle for a couple of hours total) both running from Steam and direct from Oculus (2 accounts), the other 'interesting' thing is that I'm fairly certain that ED was doing the same (not quite so often) even in pancake since the last update...

Early days to be too critical, except it was ED that suffered most from flashes on the previous S!

I'm starting to wonder if I have 'super hearing' as the sound pipes on the S are really loud for me, even at 70%...
(no bass to mention, but that is why I have big headphones...) where there are some here saying it is way too quiet...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@DaftnDirect - I wouldn't say Rift S is cheap when you consider what the Oculus Quest has in it and it also includes headphones. It's the Oculus Quest that's good value for money imho. Rift S is just made to look cheap because all the other companies charge far to much for their VR headsets.

RattyUK said:

I had flashes tonight, 5 in around 100 minutes of play of ED (but only in ED, having been playing Serious Sam Fusion 2017 and The Talos Principle for a couple of hours total) both running from Steam and direct from Oculus (2 accounts), the other 'interesting' thing is that I'm fairly certain that ED was doing the same (not quite so often) even in pancake since the last update...

Early days to be too critical, except it was ED that suffered most from flashes on the previous S!

I'm starting to wonder if I have 'super hearing' as the sound pipes on the S are really loud for me, even at 70%...
(no bass to mention, but that is why I have big headphones...) where there are some here saying it is way too quiet...

Interesting. I hadn't considered there might be more or less flashes in different games. Can't think what that would be down to but maybe I'll have to include what games I'm playing in my logs just to see if there's variations. It could just be the nature of the randomness making it seem like there's a pattern! I'll keep a look out though.

inovator
Consultant

RattyUK said:

Interesting. I hadn't considered there might be more or less flashes in different games. Can't think what that would be down to but maybe I'll have to include what games I'm playing in my logs just to see if there's variations. It could just be the nature of the randomness making it seem like there's a pattern! I'll keep a look out though.

There is  a blue pill that's good for ED